Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crash: scsiport.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerful

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
US
My XP box has a SCSI HD as the system drive and an IDE HD for storage. When I run Nero, frequently I got blue screen after a few seconds of not-responding time. The message complains IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in SCSIPORT.sys.

I have all latest patched installed and could not figure out what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Try removing all the Nero "Virtual CD Rom" drives. Make sure you remove the SCSI controller extensions as well.

I did not install the Nero "Virtual CD ROM" drives.

What do you mean by "remove the SCSI controller extensions"?

Thanks!

If you did not install Virtual CD Drives, there is nothing to remove.

Then, any other hint on where the problem comes from?

Several website, incl. MS, list this problem for NT 4, but never for XP.

You might consider the Thread registry change from the NT KB articles.

Also, a newer driver file might be a good idea. I know the older PROMISE Ultra.sys driver was responsible for this error.

I have encountered this error before--though the failure is always being reported from a different module (the SCSI portion of the HAL, it seems in your case). All the intelligible advice I have seen on this issue in the past points to faulty drivers, corrupt drivers, or a vendor cramming 2k drivers into an XP package, causing XP to blow up from time to time. I would verify that your drivers are current--for *everything*, but particularly your SCSI drivers--also may not be a bad idea to verify the firmware of the SCSI controller. If the problem is perisistent and these things all don't help, it could be possible the firmware on the drive needs to be updated as well.

Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey-at-CHGLaw-dot-com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

I've paid close attention to all drivers, updating everything available. SCSI controller is made by SIIG and their website says the driver is included in 2k/xp. No update from MS. Firmware update not available either.

Most of time the crash happens with Nero. Only occasionally it happens elsewhere -- unpredictable.

Is this problem consistent? Isn't Nero a burning tool? If it is, how about throttling the burn speed down some or change the way you are burning...if it's a disc-to-disc burn, perhaps copying to an image/file then burning from that? Are you copying discs? If you are, is it SCSI to SCSI or IDE to SCSI, or what?

I am confused because you mention Nero, a SCSI System HD coupled with an IDE Storage HD (you're brave!), and no CD drive...? I guess I was inferring that you are burning from the IDE drive (storage) to your CD drive...which I didn't see you describe anywhere. = i'm confused! Common superstition is that mating IDE and SCSI anything is asking for trouble...I used to have a system like that and it always complained running 2k.

Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey-at-CHGLaw-dot-com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL :
It seemes occurs when two devices try to write to the same memory space.
However this could as well be a sign of hardware error not software.
The driver update is always a good start.

Btw test your system with memtest86
If it fails ,theese errors can appear.
-Loosen the ram timings (aviod cas2,5 ,use 2 or 3)
-Lover your fsb
If you have AMD,dowload the latest prosessor driver.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of the chipset used by SIIG for updates to the drivers.

The SIIG website said the driver is in XP (My card is 2 years old and I think I have the version 1.0)

The setting I have:
SCSI harddrive for os
IDE HD for storage purpose, channel 0
IDE CD-RW, channel 2

The crash happens at the time of Nero startup (guess in the SCSI/IDE bus scanning phase). Once Nero starts, burning is no problem.

Nero mentioned this problem for NT. It has a link to MS but the fix is not available on the site. Also, that article talked about NT4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back