Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crash...BlueScreen...Reboot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbishopjr

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
Is there any software out there that can tell you WHY a computer hangs, or reboots????

I have a new computer with a P4PE ASUS MB with 1 Gig or Corsair RAM (two 512 sticks) and a Pentium 4 3.06 processor. A friend put it together with a new case with a 400w power supply. Now, when I leave this thing for a while, it just reboots, Blue Screen's, or freezes for no reason!!! I have installed XP Pro., XP Pro. SP2, and changed out all optical and HD's thinking they might be the culprit. I know nothing about Motherboards to date, might be a problem there, but ASUS is a great brand, and the ram, Corsair! You would think I would never have this problem.

Oh, and I have the ASUS monitoring going on the fans, voltages, and temps. They remain okay.

Thanks!!!!!!

Waymond

It's amazing how much can be done when no one cares who gets the credit!

Possible causes:

-Everything not completely seated on the motherboard.

-Overheating
If the system temp gets over 45 deg. C, then make sure the computer's fans are running, the vents are open, the computer is not located in an enclosed space or near a heat source, and there is no internal dust build up.
If those are ok, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan. If this fixes things, then install additional case fans. Recommended locations are lower front and upper rear of the case.
If the CPU gets over 60 deg. C, then make sure there is thermal compound between it and the heat sink. If that's ok, then replace the compound with Arctic Silver3.
If no luck, then install a higher capacity heat sink fan.
If still no luck, then replace the heatsink with a more efficient unit.

-Overtaxed or bad power supply
Swap it out with a different(preferably higher wattage) unit.
Also, always use a reliable brand, like Antec or Enermax.
Off name cheap brands(even high powered units) can have one voltage leg that's insufficient to handle the load.

-Bad memory
Remove and reinsert the memory a few times, try it in different slots, do not use any optimal settings for the memory in BIOS, run Memtest-86, and swap it out with known good memory.
Also, do not mix parity and non-parity memory.

-Bad video card.
Make sure it's fully seated, it's fan is running, and its heatsink is securely mounted.
If those are ok, then swap it out with a known good card.

-Bad MB.
Check for bulging, leaking, or ruptured capacitors.
If they look ok, then swap it out with a known good MB.

-IRQ conflict with a network card.
If no problems show up for the NIC in Device Manager, then remove it from DM, shut down, uninstall the card, and restart.

-Viruses and spyware.

-Kazaa.

Thanks!! I'll try this, but in the meantime while I'm re-seating everything;-) ...! I learned that you can view Windows errors by Rightclicking My Computer and going to manage...event viewer...system...then the Red circles with the "X"s. Here's what I have every ten minutes or so:

Service Control Manager error
"The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied. "

also...

Rasman error
"Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied."

Now the help on this tells me to type sc query service name at the command prompt. I typed "sc query Remote Access Connection Manager" and it didn't like that, what service name should I put in?

Thanks again for the extensive help!!

Waymond

I cant answer for the error messages, but i can suggest that you download and run memtest on your ram.
Take out your ram and insert only one stick, run memtest, and it its ok take it out and put another one, run memtest on the second stick of ram, and so on, i dont know how many sticks you have, 2,3,4? But you have to run memtest with each one separate. If not, its still likely a good idea to run each one separate.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

After I reseated everything, and updated to SP2 the problem went away... probably the SP2 that repaired the two error messages I was getting. Still having intermitten problems with the CD burning process, but I'll search the board for fixes. Havent done that yet. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Waymond

If no probs with dev mgr in windows, then uninstall burning software and re-install and then look for updates for it, then all should be well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back