Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR9 and Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGGaN

Programmer
Feb 4, 2003
MX
Hi,

I have a SQL Server Stored Procedure for a very complex select statment which involves the union of 3 select statements.

The query result for a 10 days period is between 50,000 and 80,000 records, which I have to group and sum (I do that on CR).

Everything is fine except that when I run the query from CR, it takes more than 20 minutes to complete and all other applications are blocked until I end CR task.

If I run the query from Query Analizer all it's fine and the query takes about 5 minutes or less to complete.

I'm using the option: "WITH (nolock)" for each table on the FROM clause of the select statements.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Magda

How are you connecting to the database, ODBC?

Which version of SQL Server?

I think that what you want is a dirty read, so add this to your SP:

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED

-k

I'm using ODBC on CR and SQL Server 2000.

I added the statement you told me. When I ran the query on SQL Server I noticed better performance and my apps weren't affected. However, when I added the stored to my CR report, my application was blocked again.

I guess I will deliver the report running the query and pasting results into excel since it is faster (anyway, I had to export CR to excel)

Thanks a lot for the tip!

Magda

Sounds like the ODBC connection is doing some locking, are you using the CR ODBC driver?

I'd be inclined to query it from Excel too, if that's the end requirement.

-k

Yeap, I'm using CR ODBC driver... I also think it has to do with the connection.

Thanks a lot for everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back