Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR8.5 Report with Linked Images Crashes with a CRW32 error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFPR

MIS
May 9, 2003
PR
I am having MAJOR problems with a report thats use 12 'updatetable images'.

Basically, the report has 12 images that change all the time (mug shot and fingerprints). To 'prepare' the images I copy them to a local directoy under the same name as created initially in the report. They are all valid JPG's.

Here is finally the problem: When I run the report it works great in a Win XP environment. By working I mean that it opens the report and automatically refreshs the images. The 'Updating Links' windows appear and goes all the way to 100%. However, in Windows 2000 the program flat out crashes with a CRW32.exe error. Sometime some of the images are loaded (up to 16%) and sometimes not at all.

Any comments! HELP!

M Williams

M Williams,

It sounds as though you are inserting pictures into your report - similar to a company logos for instance - then substituting different images by replacing them in your computer's file structure with the same file name - am I right?

Have you tried creating an Access or other flavour db with the pics stored in there? This is the proper way to do it -regardless of the operating environment!

I wrote a report for a school who requested the student's photo next to their data - so I just stored the photos in a two field table - the student Id being the other field - works like a charm!

I hope this helps!

paulmarr

Hello Paul. You right about the way that the way I'm updating the picture by simply copying and renaiming to the original inserted pictures. The reason why I don't put them on the db is because I have generally been told that it is a nightmare to work with BLOB. Also, I am projecting to have over 50,000 images in no time (mugs shots, fingerprints, etc.) Huge DB!

I did find a workaround. The reason that the program was crashing depended on the way that the 'OS', not crystal, recognize and handled the jpg. For some reason where it was crashing, Crystal was recognizing th JPG's as a 'HTML format' vs where it was working as a JPG ????.

The workaround was to simply install a image handling program, like photo editor, and it worked!

I will, however, explore building a temporary local Access files to hold the images and then print.

Many thanks for your comments.

MW

MW,

I had the same problem with a job I was doing - once you are talking about lots of photos - mistakes happen frequently and it is a nighmare to maintain.

I dont know if you are a programmer - but to cope with this situation -i wrote a VB program and when it is executed - it deleted the previous db (access) - created a new one - then populated the new db with jpgs in a specified folder - then I ran the report. When I had a new group of photos to report from - I just renamed the folder with old photos and renamed the new folder with the old name - that way I never lost any photos.

It works a treat and the State Government schools (220 of them) are all still usingit two years on now!

Cheers!

paulmarr

Hello Paul. I did basically the same as you mentioned except the fact that I wrote the program in Visual FoxPro 8.0 - my forte!
Anyway, works great except that the quality of the images is not even half of that of the 'Linked OLE Object'. This only happend when you preiew the report on screen. When you print it, its as good as the original ?!!?. Maybe its the way Foxpro handles the binary images files. I will try it on Access tomorrow and see what happens. By the way, I have been coding for over 15y - ouch!

Thanks for the help!

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back