Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR XI: change data source for field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh42891

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
I'm trying to create some sort of template in CR XI. I have a report formatted exactly how it needs to be. However, I need to be able to change the data source for a handful of fields from one table to another table in the same database. The field names will be exactly the same, just the table name changes. I'm relatively unfamilar with the intricacies and nuances of Crystal Reports so I'm not sure where to go from here. I can work around this outside of Crystal Reports, but that would require changes to our source tables I'm not ready to make just yet. Thanks,

dylan

You need to add the table that you want to change to. Then you will need to delete the current fields and replace them with the ones from the table you want to use.

Thanks Robbie, but I've gotten that far; I was hoping to replace the source of the fields already in the report with the new table- without deleting or moving the fields and formulas. If I have to manually delete and replace each field, I have to go through the very finicky process of sizing and positioning each field again. So instead of removing and re-adding fields, I want to be able to redirect the field to a different table. Thanks again,

dylan

Try using database->set location.

-LB

Beautiful! You have no idea how much time you just saved me!

dylan

If the fields were coming from exactly the same table just in different data sources (i.e. Live database vs. report data base) than you could just change the data source (as LBass mentioned). But because you want to use the same field but from a different table, I do not believe there is any other way to do deal with that than to delete the "old" and replace with the "new". With formulas it is easier. You just go into the formula and replace the "old" field with the "new" field. No need to delete and replace on the report.

LB has explained the supported method within the Crystal designer.

If all things are equal and you're using ODBC, change the ODBC.

Please remember to include basic technical information, such as the database type and th connectivity being used.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back