Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR X: Export to Excel is performing "strange"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraFuhrmann

Programmer
Aug 20, 2002
DE
Hi,

we're just about to upgrade from CR 8.5 to X and it is my job to "migrate" all the reports we just have. A lot of them are reports that were created to export data into excel files for further use.

Now I have the following problem: "Simple" reports with something like 4 data fields are exported fine. But the more complicated ones have a lot more fields (up to > 50) and not every "field" is a simple data base field or formula. Some of them are subreports that place the needed information at the right place because it results from different data records, etc.

With CR 8.5 the report could be exportet to excel exactly as needed. When I use a copy of the same report with CR X strange things happen:
One line of data is not longer one line in the excel report. Suddenly there are 8 lines: First containing most of the information I expect. Second is empty, third contains the result of subreport 1 (but not in column M where it used to be. the information is now in column A). It follows an empty line, the next one containing the next subreports result, again in column A instead of column O where this information should be placed, and so on.

Can someone help me finding out how I can use on my existing reports? I don't have the capacity to create them all new. And does someone now if CR XI has the same bug? If I can be shure that XI is better I would try if a direct upgrade to CR XI is possible.

Thank you
Barbara

Thank you

Hi Ken,

I've visited your homepage and found the article on excel export very helpful. At least concerning the additional columns. Concerning the additional rows, unfortunately, I was less successful. I observe a behaviour of information that results from subreports that you do not describe and so I'd like to ask you if you ever have noticed something similar or if you can imagine what the reason may be: The data is not only placed in a new row, it is placed in column A of the new row! The correct column would be W or Y.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Barbara

I have seen subreports generate extra rows and I believe the principle is the same. The alignment is even harder to do with subreport objects. Not sure why it would change columns. How wide is your export?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

I still cannot get this to work after trying the suggestions on your web page Ken.

Can you be a bit more specific? If your problem isn't exactly like the one above you should start a new thread.

my problem is exactly the same as the original post of this thread. I tried every suggestion in your linked article and nothing helps. I believe it is a limitation of the export to Excel feature. As a workaround if I were to choose the Data only puts a blank line after your subreport. I appreciate the articles and links that others (who have not had the same thing but are kind enough to offer suggestions) have posted out there regaridng services packs, formatting, etc. but it would seem to me that those who have experienced the exact same problem have not found a solution.

Yeah, the data only can't work (as your link states) but I have been able to do normal Excel exports by following the steps outlined in the article. Some take quite a bit of adjusting because this export is ridiculously sensitive to positions. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Thanks Ken. But what if you have so many columns that you can't stretch out your text headers to display its full text? I haven't been able to get the normal excel export to work without truncating the text object. Have you?

Hey mwhalen,

I am having the same issue with the subreport export to CR X - its dumping it in a new row :((!!!!!
However I have worked with reports (without any subreports in them) where there are many columns where in CR u cannot view all - I just place them side by side and use the (Data Only) Options and then go in the exported file in Excel and Format->COlumn->Auto Fit Selection it

/Sam

to use the normal excel export you have to have a design area wide enough to accomodate all of your columns. That means using a printer driver and paper size wide enough for these columns. You don't need to hvae the printer, just the driver. For instance I installed an HP Plotter printer driver which gives me up to an 80 inch design area.

Thanks Thisisboni - the problem is the folks on the IM team can do that but we all know how limited some of the end users are out there in even the most basic Excel skills.

Ken, thank you again for you post. Would you be kind enough to direct me such a driver? Do you have a link at all?

I used the DesignJet 3500 from HP. You can download it from their web site, although I don't have a link.

Ken we're trying this. I want to thank you very much for your help on this as so far it seems to be the only solution to a very frustrating problem of lost functionality in most of our reports that go to Excel. Ken have you had any issues with this workaround in putting them on Crystal Enterprise re the drivers etc?

I have never tried this with Enterprise. Please let us know how it works.

Ken, any updates you have to offer further to what has already been posted that you know of regarding the improvement of Excel exporting?

I would imagine a lot of folks would run into this.

No, nothing currently to add.

Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back