Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR Server installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobPouwelse

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
NL
Hi,

I've recently got Crystal Reports XI Developer and tried to install the Crystal Reports XI Server that came with the package on a Windows 2k3 Server with Small Business server installed. The problem that arises is the fact that I can't seem to be able to have CR XI Server installation log onto the MS SQL Server that installed with SB Server (for sharepoint). When prompted to enter the username and password for the MS SQL Server, I can only select the NT User option (SQL one is greyed out). If I try to login with 'sa' it doesn't work and if I try to login with my NT user (Administrator) it doesnt work either (no Server roles rights).

What can I do to fix this problem? It's not an option to do a full reinstall of the windows 2k3 server since its a critical server for our company, any downtime would cost us dearly.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Pouwelse

I have yet to install CR XI server, so I'm just guessing here. Is MS SQL server installed on the same box? If not, you may need to setup an odbc connection.. Just a thought.

Yes, the MS SQL server is installed on the same box, thats the entire problem. Since there is already a MS SQL server installed CR XI server wants to make use of it. The thing is, the MS SQL server was an embedded install so we don't know the username and password. "sa" - blank doesn't work and neither does our administrator login and password of windows.

Rob -

I have seen a very similar issue with installation of CR XI Server on Windows 2003 with SQL 2000.

The install does not find the SQL Server to init a database - regardless of whether it is named instance or otherwise - regardless of authentication method.

To get past this issue - I manually created a database called BO with no meta data on the SQL Server.

The installation proceeds normally.

I have solved the problem bij installing a second instance of the SQL Server and creating a database. After that I made a system dsn pointing to that instance of the SQL Server. All I had to do after that was create a database and give the windows user the rights to create tables/databases etc.

The server runs normally now, but alas, my problems are not yet over. Regardless it is not related to this problem so I will create a new topic for it.

For some strange reason I think my grammar is horrible for this post, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back