Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR Server - Background Printing Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbers

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
US
It seems as though my Crystal Reports program and the Crystal Reports Server software are having difficulty.

The first issue is that after I upload a Crystal Report XI report to the Crystal Reports Server, it is only a hit or miss situation whether the scheduled report prints.

When I first noticed the problem, I tried a few things. First I ran the report from my desktop Crystal Report XI application to make sure the report was working okay and that wasn't where the problem was. Report ran okay, I could print it to any printer on the network and/or export it to a .pdf file.

I then reloaded it into the Crystal Report Server and updated all of the database login information. I scheduled the report to print "virtually" - no printed or file output. When you click on the scheduling object, the following information is displayed:

Code:
Printer:  The instance is not printed
External Destination:  None
Data Refresh Settings:  Use the server defaults
Server Group:  Can be scheduled to any server group

This schedule attempt was successful so I knew it was not a problem with the passwords being entered incorrectly, etc.

The next step I took was to schedule the report to a networked printer which I have successfully printed scheduled reports to before.

Code:
Printer:  "//NTSERVER/PRINT3"
External Destination:  None
Data Refresh Settings:  Use the server defaults
Server Group:  Can be scheduled to any server group

This attempt was successful and I had my hard copy of the report.

Where the problem lies is when I try to schedule the report to the printer it is supposed to be printed to, it fails with the following error:

Code:
Error Message:  Error in File D:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11\Data\procSched\ntserver18.reportjobserver\~ce14784b73fac5f319.rpt:  The request could not be submitted for background processing.

It is the exact same report which was successful in my previous attempts and the only difference is a different printer name. The printers are all networked and the same model. I have tried installing the printer drivers on the server box in case that was the issue but it did not resolve.

Has anyone encountered this issue previously and resolved it? I am still learning the ins and outs of Crystal Reports Server so I may be missing something obvious although I have never had an issue printing to a networked printer.

The report is written in Crystal Reports XI with a SQL Server stored procedure as it's datasource. It has mutliple subreports which either connect to a IBM AS/400 database or another SQL Server database. We're using Crystal Reports Server XI, Release 1.

Sounds like you are having the same problem we were having with using Custom database logon rather than updating the Original database logon.

It happened to us with reports with linked-parameter sub-reports when using the Custom database logon.

If you update the RPT files on CR-XI SERVER to use a revised Original database logon the "background processing" error should go away.

BOBJ support said that they couldn't reproduce this issue - but I don't think I mentioned STORED PROCEDURES in my original ticket, so I will update that item in my ticket.

I'm still waiting for BO tech support to contact me...

Can you give me some guidance on how to "update the RPT files on the CR-XI server"?

Look at the Report Object in the CMC.

Select the Process -> Database tab. Do you have the "Use original database logon information from the report" option selected?

If not, and you have the "Use custom database logon information specified here" option selected - you will need to do a manual update of the ORIGINAL datasource for each of the report files.

You have to do this by using the CRYSTAL REPORTS desktop application. Open the RPT file and use the Database -> Set Datasource Location function to point your RPT to the new database.

Save the RPT to the correct Enterprise folder and your background processing problem should go away.

If this fixes it and you are communicating with BOBJ support - you can tell them that you are having the same problem as was reported in Case ID # 302782322.

Hi, thanks for the information. The report was set up originally with the "Use original database logon information from the report" option.

I think that we have maybe discovered the issue. I was actually misinformed and the printers are not the same make and model. Printers and drivers are not my strong point!

The server that CR Server XI is installed on is actually a Windows 2000 box and the printers that are successfully scheduled and printed to are older printers (older drivers?). The unsuccessful print jobs are to newer printers/drivers which were installed in the past year. IT seems to think that it is a driver incapatibility? Does this sound reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back