Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR Newbie, desperate for a point in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaijanm

Programmer
May 14, 2003
US
Hi, I hate to post such a vague question, but I'm really struggling with getting reports going on my app. I have tons of reports to do for my app and I'm just not sure how to get started. My backend is SQL Server. I can't find any good examples of what I need to do to go off of and all the tutorials are based on access it seems. I'm doing my development from VS.Net.

When I add a report to the project, it brings up the Report Expert thing and for starters, I hit the Wizard. From my reading, it seems I need to use OLE DB. When I click on that, it brings up a connection box. I need to use Integrated Security. It then brings up an Advanced settings screen and I have no clue what to put in here. (Can't find any information anywhere as to what should go here.) I left it at defaults and it came back with a connection error. Any clue on that?

Then also, how do I go about the data on the backend? Should I just link it to stored procedures? datasets? are data sets secure? I'm confused.

PLEASE HELP! :)

I have worked through those sample apps and I'm still nowhere where I need to be. I successfully linked to a report on my computer, but it's not based on SQL Server with Integrated Security. I can't find an example of one based on SQL Server at all.

I think I could create the report if I could get past the Integrated Security.

I'll reask the data question also. I'm looking for opinions on good or bad on this: Then also, how do I go about the data on the backend? Should I just link it to stored procedures? datasets? are data sets secure?

Thanks.

Who has created thsi integrated security?

Do they hava a proprietary OLE DB provider (such as Lawson)?.

Inegrated security doesn't say much more than saying you have security.

As for the log in, you need to know what it is expecting.

It may be that your account is unable to connect...so many unknowns, I think that you need to demonstrate specifics about your applications security.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back