Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 9 Repository 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkrenton

MIS
Jul 2, 2003
US
Trying to get the 'jist' of the Version 9 repository, yet am getting contradictory information from the assorted help documents and how to books that I've seen/read on 2 specific subjects:

First on setting up the repository:
To use the repository do I need to also create a new DB (if I don't want to use the Access DB provided)? What I'm hoping to accomplish is making summary tables (or sql queries) that the less sophisticated Crystal users can use for their needs w/o having to ask how to get this detailed info summarized down.
Second on using the Custom Function Repository
It seems that this repository only works for saving functions with logic vs saving basic formulas (ie summing multiple fields to get 1 number) which we use on multiple reports. Has anyone else found this true or am I missing the obvious. The couple of formula's I've saved require me to assign values or fields upon re-use which defeats the purpose.

Thanks in Advance.

Gina

The repository will default to MS Access but I believe that you could point to a SQL Server during install and it will create the repository database there. The only data sources you can store in the repository are SQL "Commands" which are SQL Statements that your users can use. You can't add summary tables directly, but if you have summary tables you can put a SQL Statement for them into the repository.

You are correct, the repository does not store formulas, but functions. This means that it saves the logic, not the specific fields.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

The repository utilizes an ODBC connection that Crystal creates when it is installed. It's called (strangely enough) Crystal Repository. Crystal connects to the database via this ODBC connection, so the underlying database type is irrelevant to Crystal. By default, MSAccess is used, but provided you use the same structure, you can create your own repository in SQL, or whatever you choose - provided it is ODBC compliant....

You can also centralize the repository (make it available to all users) using the same logic. By default, Crystal installs the repository database on your local machine, but if you want to add text objects, and images and have them available to ALL of your report developers, then you may want to centralize the repository database. You can do this by merely changing the ODBC connection to point to a common area on your server (for example), and copy your local database to it. Provided you change everyone's ODBC connection to refer to the same place, they will all see and share the contents of the repository.

This is great when you have a number of developers, and you want to ensure that your reports have a consistent look and feel. Any standard text that should be added to a report (e.g. Private and Confidential) can be added to the repository, along with company logos and functions.

Thanks to both responses that clarified my understanding quite a bit.
Now a follow up after creating a couple of repository items from straight sql statements-
If I place more than 1 repository 'data file' on a report I get the multiple database type 'error' statement where no server side sql can be handled which can make for some painfully slow report processes.
Thus I'm confused, if all the repository items are going into an 'access' format why the 'error'. I'm assuming it's due to the multiple sql commands being called, but again I thought the repository would allow me to create alternate table views that are more user friendly to other crystal users. Guess perhaps my understanding is a bit more grandiose than the repository is meant to be and I need to go back to creating additional table views directly in my DB for my users.

Thanks

gina

The SQL statement of the command is stored in MS Access, but the commands themselves are still processed by your database. I don't think Multiple commands are intended to be linked together, but you could create another command that is the combination of two or three commands. In some environments trying to link multiple commands will generate a database error, or will give unpredictable results. In caaes where linked commands are successful, the processing will still be slow because the commands are run separately and combined in Crystal on the client end.

- tek@kenhamady.com

Hi

If "What I'm hoping to accomplish is making summary tables (or sql queries) that the less sophisticated Crystal users can use for their needs" is your objective, creating "views" would be a more logical approach.

Nuffsaid.

I have problem with custom functions stored in the repository. currenlty, only administrator can see the function, not developer.

our repository is in Oracle. We have on user for admin and one userid for developers that have select priviledge to all the repository object.

help!!!!

Homio1,
Please start a new thread for your question.

- tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back