Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 8.5 Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmozer

Programmer
Sep 11, 2004
US
Simple options I'd like to be able to set in Crystal Reports 8.5:

The default directory for loading reports and saving new reports.

The default Oracle database.

The default directory where report output will be stored (This is a major one, since CR 8.5 always defaults to some buried userfolder/temp directory!).

The ability to print a report to a non-system default print (pick a printer off the printer list).

Have all Oracle joins initially default to "left outer".

If there is a way to change any of the above, please let me know, as I can't find a place to change them.....

I would suggest building a generic report which is stored in your default directory, using a table in the Oracle database, which has been exported to the default directory.

This won't resolve the LO join concern, but it handles the rest. Then just select that report off of the File menu each time you start and delete the table in it and you're good to go.

All Windows programs allow you to change printers at print time, select File->Print

BTW, outer Joins decrease performance so use them only as required.

You can set the default directory for report storage, it's under File->Options (can't remember the tab and I don't have CR 8.5 here).

-k

Hi Synapse,
One of the changes that seems to have happened since the move from 8 to 8.5 and higher, is that the default direstory setting no longer works..CR will open and save to the last directory used, not the one specified in the options..In fact, V10 does not seem to even have that option. ( at least I cannot find it..I guess they want you to use the repository - assuming CE is also available)

Odd change..

[profile]

A lot of the things that used to be under file options are now registry settings. Thats a real pain.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
askdon@srhconsulting.com

Turk: I think that it remembers the last directory used. If you start off with the default set, I believe it uses it, but once you change...

I believe that by opening a generic report it will default to it's location, not sure about the export, that was always a mess in CR.

-k

Hi,
Yes it does remember, so once it it opened, it will be saved, by default, in the same directory..

Exporting seems to always want to use the TEMP directory under your Local Settings directory in your Windows ( at least on XP ) profile in v8.5 and the 'My Documents' directory in V10.

A real pain..

[profile]

Wonder if there is a registry tweek/change that would (in 8.5) change the default export folder. That buried TEMP directory IS a real pain! Think I'll search my registry.....

You won't find it.

The hack that works for me (Win 2000 Pro, CR 8, 8.5 and 9.0) is to set the TMP environment variable to a location other than C:\Temp.

It works, but who knows what other Windows garbage will end up in there.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back