Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 8.5 Data Truncated in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIMS

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a user that likes to export CR data to Excel 2000 for manipulation. The most recent report has alot of text in one field. When exporting the data, it appears that we are running into a problem with 256 character limitation. Microsoft Knowledgebase acknowledges the problem, but is there a fix?

Here's a blurb on Excel 2000 limitations:

Microsoft Excel 7.0 (95)
-----------------------------------------
• Maximum Sheet Size: 16,384 rows by 256 columns
• Column Width: 0 to 255 characters
• Maximum length of cell contents (text): 255 chacters

Microsoft Excel 8.0 (97)
--------------------------------------------
• Maximum Sheet Size: 65,536 rows by 256 columns
• Column Width: 0 to 255 characters
• Maximum length of cell contents (text): 32,000 characters

Microsoft Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003
--------------------------------------------
• Worksheet size: 65,536 rows by 256 columns
• Column Width: 255 characters
• Length of cell contents (text): 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

"Alot of text" isn't very descriptive. What is the data type that you're exporting, and from what type of database, and what are the output requirements?

Have you applied the Service Pack?

I just exported a length 999 memo field from Crystal to Excel 97-2000 and it worked fine, but of course it did do line wrapping.

-k

The data is from a SQL database and is coalesce(varchar and text). Not sure what you mean by output requirements. I didn't know about the service pack and can try that tomorrow when I am in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back