Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 11 lining up bottoms of text in boxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianWhite

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
US
I'm trying to place text boxes for headings on a report.

Vertically, the text boxes have varying quantities of rows of text, all right-aligned for purposes of my description.

I need the bottoms of all heading texts to line up with each other just above a line in the page header--but bottoms of text in boxes having two lines of text never quite line up with bottoms of text in boxes having one line of text, nor either of those with text in the bottoms of three-line boxes.

The report is packed with information, and adding fluff to the wording of the boxes wouldn't give them quite the concise efficiency of the legacy report I'm emulating. So to get the bottoms of texts in each box all lined up with each other, I'm trying to position them correctly.

Maybe I don't understand Crystal Positioning. In the Size-And-Position values of a box, I can enter the Y value--not enough of a change to overrun the section or the line below--Crystal ignores it and changes the Height ! Or Crystal will change both Y and Height, seemingly without regard to what I put in. Or I can try changing the Height, but the text holds position on the page.

Manually changing the size of text boxes yields similar same results.

I hope I'm just missing something simple. Surely Crystal, in version eleven, should have easier-to-use placement control than this. Been here, anybody? Hints?

Crystal XI Developer, Windows XP Professional, SQL Server 8

Make all of the text boxes the same height, then align them.

I sometimes do this by having 2 carriage returns with 1 line text, one carriage return with 2 lines of text, and of course 3 lines of text for the final example.

That way you can lassoo all of the objects and right click and use same height, etc.

Especially useful when generating exports.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back