Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 11 Developer and Web Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueSp

MIS
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hello.

We currently use CE 10 Embedded on Win 2003 Server based servers along with .asp and IIS6. MS SQL databases.

Since CE 10 is going away at some point we are looking at CR11 Developer. Currently, we build the .rpt files using CR 10, locate them in a directory where the .asp is, the user picks the .asp to run from a menu. This .asp then passes parameters to the .rpt and loads the report into a browser to view using the Crystal supplied ActiveX control. Most of this is done using the Crystal supplied samples. I was told by somebody at BO that we can still do this with CR11 developer but that with CR11, RAS is gone.

We can not go to CR Server because of it's high cost - too much to pass on to our customers. BO said with CR11 installed on the server that is running IIS we will be able to do this and you can have 3 concurrent users accessing reports.

Is this right? Anybody doing this? Can BO make any of this any more confusing...

Thank you!

We're looking at using the ASP.NET report components that come with the Developer edition to do this. Although if you have to stick to straight asp code, the answer from BO is to use the RDC components, which are deprecated and will be going away with a future release. You CAN call ASP.NET from asp, so you don't have to upgrade your entire application, just the pieces that display your reports.

I'm not entirely sure about the licensing and the number of concurrent users for these controls, though.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Sue,

I recently converted all of our reports to CR XI developer. Hand coding the ASP can get kind of tedious, I would really recommend that you look at

This product has been a real life saver for me. I just do the report in CR and then it literally takes about 2 minutes to run it through Recrystallize, which generates all the necessary ASP. It also does a nice job making sure that sessions get closed so the licensing thing does not get messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back