Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
The last 3 days my computer won't turn on. I press the power button and nothing happens. Once, the lights on the front went on, the fan went on, but the drives did not boot up. Is there a circuit breaker reset button, or do I have a bigger problem? Thanks for your help!!

Power supply may not be working properly. It you do not provide the Motherboard with steady power at the proper amps sometimes the fan will run and then it just quits. Sometimes there are fuses that can burn out, but it is more likely the power supply.

Sometimes a severe electrical change can come through the phone or modem connection strong enough to damage a motherboard during a lightning or thunder storm.

I've seen this happen when installing an I/O card like a modem. Sometimes a card can short out the power supply. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

There is not usually a circuit breaker or reset in a computer. The power supply unit will probably have a mains fuse inside it, usually rated at about 5 Amps, but if this had blown you would not even get the fan or front panel l.e.d.s to come on, albeit only for an instant. Be aware that there are very dangerous voltages lurking inside a computer PSU (sometimes even when it is switched off and disconnected). If you not familiar with, and understand power supply circuitry, with respect I suggest that you do not contemplate poking about inside!

If you want to try and troubleshoot your PC, then first of all disconnect peripherals, e.g. printer etc. Assuming this makes no difference you are now at the take-top-off-case stage. Try re-seating memory, re-seat cards plugged into the mobo slots, and re-seat the processor, making sure no pins are bent over whilst pushing it back into the socket. Any joy? Next is to remove all add-in cards other than your video card. Next stage if no joy is to disconnect all ribbon cables from your drives and also the power cables. Now also try removing the video card and pull out keyboard and mouse. Now all you should have attached to the PSU is the motherboard. I have come across a similar scenario where a loose screw had become lodged under the mobo, and shorted out part of the circuit causing the PSU to shut down. Unlikely but should be considered... If it still doesn't play ball, then I suggest you try substituting the PSU.

Good luck.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

It sounds like a power supply failure. It is a simple problem to fix, any computer can fix it for about $50, give or take a few dollars. Don't worry, just replace the PSU (power supply unit), and you'll be all set.

While your in your computer, you might also take a quick check to see if your power on switch attached to your power on botton on the front of your computer is firmly attached. Sometimes a dead computer can simply be the result of the power on switch not getting any power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back