Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Utilization High

Status
Not open for further replies.

openeratech

Technical User
May 23, 2005
IN
Hi,

After searching this forum i am posting this because whatever posted for this problem was not relevant in my case.

I am using NAV 7.5 Server on Windows 2000 Server. All of a sudden rtvscan.exe is taking 100% CPU utilization.

It was working and i remember till 2 yrs of my service i have never seen that in this company but it started all of a sudden and is killing the server which just hangs up.

I have made the Update frequecy setting to 12 hrs and also made sure that the physical memory and paging file is good enough. But no use.

Please help.

-Yunus

have you tried to upgrade the software to version 8 recently?
Even if you haven't I'd suggest you do anyway as version 7 is now out of support and those lovely people at symantec don't guarantee that the newer defs work with it

forgot to ask.... anything in the event logs for problems with symantec?

Sounds like bad defs to me. Either way: You are using an unsupported product. Upgrade. Period.

Hi, we had a user with a laptop PC that started doing this same thing with 7.51 corporate edition. As the others have said, this is no longer a supported product. The malfunction started with the next update after 7/31/05 which is when Symantec officially considered it over! Fix: step 1: disable and remove the program; step 2: upgrade to supported product. This took care of our problem, I hope it fixes yours, too.

Yes mradmin is right, I think that is the case because in definition download page the name of NAV 7.5 is taken off.

But though the upgrade is a sweet option but that is not going to work for me because these guys wont buy. So anyway i had to fix the problem so this is what i did after analyzing the problem.

I saw:

1) NAV wont go to 100% unless you update the definitions, after updating definitions only it will raise the CPU utilization,
2) If you stop and start the service it will become normal until you update again.
3) So i have written one batch file which stops and starts the NAV service on the server every 5 hrs.

This is how i am able to control the CPU utilization.

Thanks for all those who helped me.

Cheers
Yunus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back