Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU usage 100% after doing Microsoft Windows Security Bulletin Summary 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Zeus

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2004
US
After downloading and applying the updates that microsoft put out today, by system CPU is 100% in task manager. The system cpu usage is at 100% even when booting into safemode.
The system is dog slow now, I can't even get into the control panel to uninstall the security updates. Please Help.

I too have had the problem but with only one Win2k machine
Every "repair upgrade" will fix the problem of not being able to have a "working" machine until the point where the KB835732 patch is applied and then it becomes unusable.

I have tried the workaround re VPN although it doesn't cure the problem.

I am waiting to talk to Microsoft re the hot fix tomorrow.

I started experiencing this problem this morning, and the hotfix has been installed since mid April.

After reading through these posts, I checked services and found IPSEC running and set to automatic.
I stopped the service and the CPU now hovers around 4-10%.

I haven't uninstalled the hotfix yet.

Corie

I just did fresh Win2kPro install, after istalling my drivers and a couple programs; (Photoshop, acrobat, ect..) my computer now uses 100% cpu time and kernel times average around 60-70%. Only SP4 was installed as far as updates or hotfixes go.
Explorer.exe seems to be using all the power making repeted calls to the same registry entries over and over.

It makes the same calls about 60,000 times every ten seconds. It seems that it can't find -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

Then it creates -
\HKLM\System\CurrentContolSet\Services\Tcpip\paramaters

Anyone see this before?

Bill,
I called Microsoft and they asked me to send an email to the developers, which I did.
I'll let you know what they come back with.

Thanks,
Corie

I too am facing a services.exe with 99% cpu time. i have a customers computer dell latitude w/ 2000 pro.. ive tried the fix ( removing the ipsec, the evil hot fix and blocking ports 135;445) no success, ohh and THANKS!! to who came up with running explorer and other programs running in "realtime" (great idea, it works, and saved me about 10 hours, literaly) meanwhile, the only thing i can think of to fix it might be dlttape.sys file.[. anyone know how i might be able to stop this perticular driver from trying to run? delete all instances from the registry? that might break it, hence some ini file might be referring to it. too risky.. cant reinstall not an option. any ideas? BCASTNER thank for your help so far. please someone respond if you have any clues for me. thanks again

also, funny thing.. i cannot read the event viewer. the program starts fine and all,( if running in realtime) but when i try to read a security log, (any log) it give me a error message as follows::

------------------------
Event Viewer:

Unable to complete the operation of security log, the interface is unknown.

------------------------
(all logs, using security log for an example)

im working blind here, any ideas?

I had this problem that whenever i started Windows Explorer on my machine (OS Windows 2000 Professional) , it would cause the CPU utilization to reach 100%. The process that would be utilizing the CPU was Explorer.exe and the Explorer window just did not show up.
Read a few posts and downloaded Ad-Aware and AVG (anti virus guard).
Ran AVG and removed a few trojan horses which were not detected by Nortan Anti Virus. But this did not help.
Ran Ad-aware. It showed up about 240 files and had marked 18 files for deletion. Deleted the 18 files but still no benefit.
Finally deleted all the files detected by Ad-Aware. These contained programs like NetPal, AdDestroyer, SAHAgent, some TrackingCookies, WhenU and lots of other programs categorised as DataMiner. On deletion of all these files and a reboot of the machine, the problem vanished.
Best of Luck to others facing similar problems.

Hello and Servus, i am from Austria and i have got the same Problem on an Dell D600 with Vpn Software installed.

After i have removed the 5732 Patch, the machine works fine now.

Bevor it was horrible it has taken me 20 min to login !

Thank you for the tips because i havent found this forum the next step wer to reintall the machine but this hasent solve the problem just solve the issues.

thx for the help

sorry my english is not the best but i am trying to get better lol

I was going to buy a new hard drive today, and possibly a new processor. I guess I should wait. I even restored the laptop to the original system. It still is at 100% CPU. I'm not PC literate. Is the patch still in there even though I did restore? I wiped it clean and started with factory disc.

I've got a Win XP professional SP2 and last night it became really slow. And I noticed my pc fan going crazy. I couldn't even log on so I went into the safe mode and it was all fine. I rebooted and then went into the regular windows mode after waiting a long time. I checked the task manager and found system running at 100% cpu usage. I thought it was some kinda virus or spyware so I ran all the security software in safe mode. I could run the spyware programs but not the virus program. The scan engine wouldn't run at all. So I went onto the Trend micro website and ran their online scanner and I let it run over night(SLOW) and this morning I found out there's no virus and somewhat it's running at normal speed. I've installed windows updates a week ago but didn't give me this kinda of grief before.

There is a current issue concerning TrendMicro OfficeScan virus pattern 2.594 causing high-cpu on machines running the following:

-Windows 2003 Server with SP1
-XP SP2 with the following critical patches:

KB893066
KB890923
KB893086
KB890859
KB893803

It may be one of the possible causes.

I have been having the same problem with my CPU Usage being at 100% pretty much at all times...I tried to delete the Hotfix that everyone keeps saying will probably work but when I was going through the uninstall process it gave me a list of programs that may not work after the uninstall is finished and its pretty much everything I use on my PC for downloading, sharing, etc...I'm not sure if I should take a chance and still uninstall the hotfix or think of another option. If none of those programs work on my computer I've pretty much lost the option of doing most of the stuff I do on my PC...anyone have any ideas??? Please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back