Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mon0L1th

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
US
I am thinking of upgrading my current amd64 3200 (2.0ghz, 512kb cache) to an amd64 4000 (2.4ghz, 1mb cache). I've done alot of hardware upgrades, all the way down to the motherboard but I've never replaced a processor (I'm more of a software guy). Is there any special procedure to this, or can I simply pop in the new chip and throw the switch?

After comparing some benchmarks, the AMD 4000 edges over the P4 for graphics, but the P4 650 easily beats out the amd on video tasks. As far as pure processing (file moving/copying etc), they are pretty much equal. The P4 uses more power and therefore runs warmer, but that isn't an issue in a watercooled system.

So for gaming, there wont be much difference. For multimedia work, it will be a substantial jump over what I'm using now.

btw felixc: it will be about a week before I recieve my new stuff.

?????? wot?
Thought you said you had ordered a 3.0gig 2mb cache 775?

The P4 650 is the 3.4 with 2mb cache.

Perhaps you should explain exactly what it is you have at the moment, model numbers etc and exactly what it is you are getting because we are getting mixed messages here.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Cnet just released a good article on benchmarking the AMD and Intel dual-core processors. It looks like when it comes to dual-core AMD beats Intel on everything, and for cheaper.

Look at it, you might want to cancel your order.

Mon0L1th,

Benchmarks vary quite a bit, but a comparably priced P4 to AMD usually loses in every benchmark except audio and video encoding. Applications, DirectX, OpenGL, etc., are all mostly in favor of AMD.

Here's one example (Video encoding):

- You will see that the P4 650 "edges" out the Athlon64 4000+ by about 6%

Here's another important bench (DirectX 9):

- You will see that the Athlon64 4000+ crushes the P4 650 by as much as 20%

In the end, you will find that almost 90% of the benches are in favor of the 4000+ which simply crushes the 650 and only costs about $80 more on average. Almost the same could be said about the 3800+ which is about the same price as the 650. Factor in the lower costs of the average 939 motherboard and DDR1 RAM, Athlons are without a doubt still the more attractive buy when "money is an object".

And finally about the dual-core AMD... Are you certain that your board doesn't support them? You never posted your model, so we can't give you a 2nd opinion. However, most socket 939 boards do support the Athlon64 X2 dual procs...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

From what I've heard, I think almost all sock 939 mobo's should support dual core AMD's either natively or thru a BIOS flash (please do correct me if Im wrong). SO that said you cud hav gone AMD way buying a 3800+ x2 for a price ~US$ 315.

I share the same kind of doubt that other members would be having : would a P4 2meg cache 3 Gig processor beat an AMD 3200+ on Socket 939 ? Yea we know it supports HT but I think AMD is a better performer no matter whatever marketing gimmick Intel comes up with. I am a newcomer to AMD ( having owned a P III 800 MHz for 5 years, believe it or not ) , jus weeks after I built my first AMD system.... and man it does rock ! Altho Intel seems to be harping about multi-tasking who says AMD cant multitask ? For a test I ran several heavy performing apps simultaneusily jus to stress test the system. I ran both 3ds MAX 8 ( rendering of 640x480 image with raytracing ) and Photoshop CS ( applying filter effects - charcoal to 4.1 megapixel image ) while running Bearshare, MS SQL Server and several other tasks in the background, plus having 5 tabs in firefox. All of it worked like as if there was no problem. I was able to switch between each tasks ( alt+tabbing ) with ease. Well that proved to me AMD is as good at multitasking jus like Intel is.

As far as your new config is concerned Im not too sure it would give you any benfits over your old AMD one. Well Ill one of those few to hear your reviews on this new system of yours once you finish riggin it up.

Catch u later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back