Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Upgrade in Windows XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

creechurch

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Can anyone help!!!

I have just bought a new CPU for my PC.

Is it possible to install the new processor under an exsisting install of windows xp.

I have an AMD XP1700+ at the mo and am wanting to upgrade it to an AMD XP2400+..... will it auto detect the new processor and carry on happily.....

or

Will I (as on previous versions of windows) have to format the HDD and install Windows and all programs again?

windows should be quite happy if you simply fit the new processor: i've upggraded processors without having to reinstall.

mind you, there's always the occassional exception ;)

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Cheers monarth,

and this process works quite happily on windows XP?

What processors did you upgrade to?..... sorry to be nosey

I do remember having upgraded from an AMD 1700 to a 2400, but also far too many others to list!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Cheers buddy!!!

I'll install that 2nite then.... and if anything goes wrong i'll blame you..... only kidding.

Cheers for all you help!!

On a similar theme, what about the motherboard? I'm upgrading the cpu and motherboard together. WIll I get away with that? I'm going from 1 P4 1.7G to P4 3.06G, and an Intel 835 to an Intel 850.

If anybody has any gen on that it would be appreciated.

i upgraded from an asus p4c800 with a 3.06 p4b to an asus p4c800-e dlx with a 3.0 p4c, no other changes, and xp was fine with it

Basically a lottery if you change mobo with XP in place - though instructions in bcastner's link should help you through it in most cases.

Right I installed the new processor last night.

apart from the grief the heatsink and fan gave me, it went in fine. booted to windows, few seconds later the login screen came up..... and windows lapped it up.

So i would like to thank monarth for his help on this matter!!! *****

np, and thanks - we all appreciate the feedback!

<marc>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back