Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU time 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezee28

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a server running MS BackOffice 2000. I was checking as to why our network was running slow. Went to Task Manager and look into the processes and found that this repgen.exe file was running at between 95 to 100% CPU time. I tried to end this process but it came back with a pop-up menu saying access is deny. The time that this REPGEN.exe was running is just under 100 hours.

When I reboot the system it did not come on at first, but one of the program must have started it and it came on about 2 hours after I reboot.

Could you please tell me what this REPGEN.exe is supposed to do and how to disable it, if it is advisable to diable it.

Any help / insight into this is very much appreciate.

Beezee28

Just a thoght: It could be the name of a malicious process on your server. I have a question---if you are running IIS on that computer? You could be hacked. If you do have IIS installed, check inetpub directory for the files or folders which have no business to be there.
good Luck

beezee28,

It seems that repgen.exe is a report generator. You must have a program that is generating reports to a log or something. Click on Start>Search>Files and Folders, type in repgen.exe, click Search Now. See what Search finds. Open the folder that it is in you might find the program there that's running.

Let us know what happened.

spool

Hi Spool,

Have check the file Repgen.exe. It is part of the MS ISA Server package. I double click on it and all it returns to me is a blank command prompt. I looked everywhere in MS ISA Server for a switch to turn off the report generator but could not find anything on it.

Do you have any idea???

Thanks

Beezee28

Hi Spool,

Thank you for your help. The url you gave was helpful. I read alot on ISA. Also I had another source that told me what is happening with my server. I had a corrupted log file and to shut down MS ISA Server and move the log file to another folder. Restart MS ISA Server and evrything work ok. Tried that and it sure did happens as was told.

Alex16, thanks for you help.

Once again, thanks.

Beezee28

Breezee,
You sais that your network was running slow. I have a similar problem, but only the internet part is running slow. Did the corrupt log file, was it in the urlcache? If not, where could I find it?
Thanks,
Dave

Check out process monitor on google. It's a freebie, and it shows all things running on the machine. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"It's not what you look at that
matters, it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

LDaveM,

Sorry, took so long to reply.

I went to 2 location to do this. 1st I went to Star\Program\MS ISA Server\ISA Management. Open the Monitoring Configuration and shut down the log file and then restart the log file. Did the same to report job.

Then 2nd, I went to c:\program file\MS ISA Server\ISALOG to clear all the files there. I don't know which one is corrupted , so I clear all of them.

Just the hell of it, I reboot my server. When it booted up I went to task Manager and had it open all day long to monitor the CPU usage and it stayed at a very low percentage.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Beezee28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back