Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU temp up to 123c

Status
Not open for further replies.

crapatthis

Technical User
May 22, 2003
GB
I have just built my son a computer I put a 2400+ amd CPU in it. The temp has been running at aroung 53c for over a week until now when its hit 123c and closed down. Anybody any ideas on what is wrong and what I should do.

A sudden jump like that can only mean a few things:
The CPU heatsink dropped off?
The CPU cooling fan stopped turning
or somehow the heatsink has become unseated and not transfering heat properly to the heatsink via the (raised CPU core to heatsink base)
Has the case recieved a jolt? or has one of the retaining tabs on the CPU socket snapped off releasing the heatsink/cooler?
Just to put you in the picture 85C is absolute max temp for your XP2.4+ if your processor has genuinely reached 123C it would normally indicate thermal death for the processor.
Hope this isn't the case, good luck.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

First thing you should have done when you set the pc up *if the option was there* is to set a max temp so it can auto shutdown befor the cpu pops.

Did the CPU pop ?

btw it might not have got to the hemp you said there might have been a glitch and it just said it as if the CPU hit that temp as well as for poping you would have felt the heat by the pc rising. *if you where by it that is*

Also i think the max temp a bios reads atm is 123 same with software so if the CPU still runs without any problems i would think it was just a glitch so check the mobo's site and see if there are any bios updates or if its software then software updateds.

In my case PC ALERT for MSI boards misreads the case temp when it's below 22c. It reads it as 78C but yet the cpu temp is only in the high 30's or low 40's(which is accurate). could this be your problem too? Was the room fairly cold when you read the temp? Just asking.

Many thanks for all your help, it seems like a software problem with the software we got with the CPU (pc alert). Checked in the BIOS this morning and everything running fine i'll keep an eye on it, once again thanks for all the advise

So it still runs? sorry I got the impression the PC all of a sudden jumped from 53 to 123C then closed down and wouldn't restart! this was obviosly not the case, just goes to show with more information how differant the diagnosis can be.
Seems of late quite a few new motherboards are missreporting temps (usually cured by a bios flash)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back