Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU suggestions for Socket 754 AMD motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterlinkModule

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
I am building my girlfriend a nice rig for her birthday. I got ahold of a Socket 754 AMD motherboard. It's nice, PCI-e, and 2 SATA ports. But I want to upgrade the CPU. What do you all suggest? I want something really fast for gaming but don't want to go broke. Thanks!

-=<>=-
My Art
My eBay Variety Store
The New Flesh Forum
-=<>=-

Need to know the chipset, what type of board? I like the Sempron but can't make a recommendation without knowing the specs.

Tony

on the CPU can u see writing on the panel? opposite side to the pins.

Is that an eMachines motherboard? "First International Inc"?
I seem to remember the fastest CPU that AMD made for socket 754 was the 3700, pretty rare now, you might have to settle for a secondhand one off ebay as this socket type has all but faded away into history in favour of newer socket types, 939 and now 940 AM2.

I see you mention, quote "I want something really fast for gaming" I hope you realise that the CPU only plays a relatively small part in gaming performance.
If you truly want this system to run games well you are going to have to dispense with the onboard graphics and install a decent addon graphics card.
Unfortunately eMachines motherboards often do not have a dedicated graphics upgrade slot.
Have a look and post back, if it hasn't got a dedicated AGP or 16X PCIe slot then you won't be doing any serious gaming with this board, thats a fact.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

It has a dedicated PCI-e slot and takes DDR-400 as well. The board also can use SATA hard drives. I might scrap it and go for a high powered sockect 478 Pentium IV since the case requires a micro ATX motherboard.

-=<>=-
Wicca Woman
The New Flesh Forum
Consciousness Music & Gifts
Dreams of Trance & Ambience
-=<>=-

If you want a fast PC for gaming why dont you tell us your budget and then see what your choices are.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I was gonna say it would have been cheaper to scrap the case and upgrade that as opposed to changing out both the processor and board. With a gig of RAM and decent Athlon 64, it would run XP and some of the newer games just fine. In fact, the Athlon 64's straight out whip the 478 P4's in most categories. I think all the hype around the newer Core 2 Duo from Intel has caused some to forget that when building/upgrading older rigs.

Like Martin said too, most of the focus should always be on the video card when it comes to gaming.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back