Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cpu starts up when phone rings 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgerunner

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
US
Gigabyte Ga-7vrxp motherboard - 512mb - Athlon xp 1800 - V92 modem - Windows XP.
The computer keeps starting up when the phone rings even though I have disabled the wake-on-ring feature on the motherboard. Any thoughts or ideas?

I must admit, I had to laugh a little bit at this one. It just sounds funny. It is a weird one though. Have you check the driver settings in XP for that modem? Maybe, and I don't see how this would be possible, it is overriding the BIOS setting.

Go to control panel/ modems and properties of the modem then power management and uncheck allow this device to bring this computer out of standby.

I've checked the modem and power management settings and all seems to be correct. The drivers for the modem are factory drivers, not XP. Is it possible it's some type of fax setting. I do not have the fax on. This is XP corporate if that helps any. Please continue with any helpful comments.

Many Intel motherboards (and probably others) have a BIOS setting for wake-on-lan and wake-on-ring. Check your BIOS setup as well for another place to disable it.

Good luck

I agree with jpm121. This has to be coming from a BIOS setting, as the drivers for modems/nics/motherboards aren't even a factor if an OS isn't even running at that moment. Wake-on-ring sounds more on target.

Thanks xyrx,I agree with you and jpm121 that the bios settings appear to be the culprit, but all settings appear to be disabled. Guess I'll keep poking around. Thanks

Uh-huh... good luck, I'm going to bow out of this one!!

One last thought:
You don't have a fax program configured do you?

One more last thought:
You mentioned "v92 modem" -- is this a generic type modem? It's possible there's hardware support for a feature but the driver wasn't written such that it can be enabled/disabled.

GL

Just a thought. have u checked to see if there is a TROJAN in your system. That is programed to "wakeup" when the hacker rings. also some fax programs will do that. they wake the computer up so that the FAX can be copied to the HD.

"The drivers for the modem are factory drivers, not XP." XP hates non signed drivers. get some signed drivers for XP...Non Signed drivers create havic in XP...
best bet is a TROJAN...
Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

I had a similar issue with this the other day. The computer would boot up every few min if the computer was hooked up to the network. There was a setting in the bios to Wake on PCI Card. Disabling this stopped the annoying problem.

Thanks for all your help. Turns out that there was one item in the bios that I missed. I neglected to disable the PME. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back