Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleo

Programmer
Mar 2, 2002
US
hi...i am new here, and have a question on CPU speed.

i am replacing my old HP715 with a (not so old) HP C3000, and the CPU speed spec has my attention again...... the C3000 quotes a speed of 400MHz....this is considerably below the 3GHz quoted on my MSwindows computers. however i know the C3000 is fast (from users i know)..... is a direct comparison of CPU speeds "fair" ...... do i need to spend lots of $$$ to get performance comparable to 3GHz on an MSwindows computer?

obviously, i am not a unix wiz..... i much prefer the sparseness of the unix OS from a users point of view....but being my own "unix system manager" is way over my head.... i hack through issues painful step by step.

anyway ..... as always, thanks for your time.

daveleo

HP C3000's usually come with a one (or more) RISC processor(s) which are much faster than the Intel processors, not a fair comaparison if you just go by the GHz.

My personal experience with HP servers is that they are very fast and very reliable.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

'speed' is more than about CPU speed...
memory (phyisical/virtual)
disks (phyisical/virtual)
type of application/server/database...

Not an easy answer to such a question.

thanks for the comments.
i just needed some moral support to justify buying (what the numbers say) a slow, older machine.

but my HP715 has paid for itself many many times over the last 6 years (AND it was used when i bought it!). i look forward to the new C3000.

daveleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back