Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Running too hot? Suspect it may be heatsink placed on incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew85

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Hello, I recently decided to put together a new computer from scratch. I've taken apart computers here or there for the past 10 years or so, but I have never actually put together a computer from scratch. However I feel that my computer's CPU is running a tad too hot. It's an older processor, an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. I originally had an old heatsink my friend gave me, a Volcano 6 cu+, but I replaced it with another because the Volcano ran at over 7000 RPMs, was INCREDIBLY loud and my processor was usually running at a temperature of around 60-65C or so. I ordered a new heatsink off of newegg, Arctic Cooling's Copper Silent 2M. It is quieter but it still levels off at about 56C or so at idle and a bit higher at full load.

I have another 80mm fan on the back which came standard with my case. My case runs between 33-35 degrees usually, which seems fairly standard.

I've just seen a lot of people with temperatures between 35-45C either under idle or full load, and I was wondering why mine wasn't. My fan is rated up to 3200+ (or maybe 3400+) and I also have it on the highest setting (it is variable). For my processor it is only required to be on the lowest, but it looks like it'd get too hot in that case.

Sorry for making the post this long, but I wanted to get all of my information. If you need any more system specs, I'd be more than happy to give them.

I have switched MB's mutiple times and I have found that Gigabyte MB's run AMD CPU's.....HOT HOT HOT....
I have had many boards and as such worked on lots of puters and all of the Gigabyte boards were the same at least 10-30 (or more) degrees hotter than other MB's.(all the boards use the Nvidia chipset)I love the board but not the temp....I wonder if it is a true read on the temp sensor. the CPU on three of the the boards I have set up have remained stable and benchmark tools could not crash them even after a 24 hour period.
I have tested 2600 AMD and two 2400 AMD cpu's. I think I am gonna test with an external sensor and see if the reads are different.

other than that I am not gonna worry about the higher heat....
IF IT WORKS ...LEAVE IT ALONE....

p.s. one of my heatsinks is a Volcano ....and boy is it LOUD... but it works GREAT

that's my two bits to this topic.
Its gonna be interesting reading the replies????

I bought two 120 mms. Cost me a bit (I got a quieter version)

If it turns out to be my motherboard screwing up, I am going to be very angry at gigabyte and speak to them about it.

I put my brother's mini-atx comp together for him, with a 1600+ Athlon XP I believe, and It was having really bad problems overheating within 10 minutes of boot up and automatically shutting down. I bought another hsf and did the whole sanding process to get a really good mirror finish, and added arctic silver. I saw a slight improvement with temps, to the degree that I didn't see it shutting down, but I still didn't like seeing temps well into the 50's when the computer is just sitting there with nothing running. I've put together a fair amount of systems, and this was the first time I encountered this kind of behavior - I could go into bios right after turning it on and watch the temp rise to the point it usually gets to (30-35 degrees) and then keep rising another 25-30 degrees.

For a temperature probe, I use a "cheapy" indoor/outdoor desktop thermometer. I cut the "outside" probe off, and replace it with a tiny thermister from Radio Shack. I think it's a 20 k, but not sure (it's the only real tiny thermister they stock). Insert the thermister into the middle of the heatsink (compare with the BIOS temp to see how many degrees to add). I haven't figured out how to get it under the CPU for accuracy. The Thermaltake volcano 9 CPU cooler has a variable fan speed control, controled by a varister that fits under the CPU (real thin leads - fits between the pins on the CPU). Maybe some day I'll find one of those varisters, and try it for a probe.

Installed two 120mm fans and moved my old 80mm exhaust fan to be an intake fan onto my processor. Only a 3 degree difference from before. Meh. At 54C now, which is tolerable, but still very high in my view.

To micker377
(compare with the BIOS temp to see how many degrees to add). Could you explain that a bit more, please.
thanks

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Very Very Cool I had no idea that so many other people were concered with temps as much as me. I eventually got fed up with all the fan here fan there, rpm here rpm there and got a Koolance, Very quite temps in the low 80's F never over 90F under full load. The only fan I had to add was one for my RAM by theremal take I think Good luck

IBACFII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back