Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu running at 91C, what should I replace 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mldmld

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have a P4 2.8, Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G. The cpu is running at 91C and has been shutting down when I run intensive programs. What should I do if the CPU fan is running correctly? Should I put some thermal compound on the cpu, or try a new fan?

The computer is about 2 years old, and the probably has started getting worse. Thanks

Also the power/aux is at 78C, and the motherboard is 25C

Redoing the thermal compound and possibly looking at a new fan/CPU cooler is not a bad idea.

It is probably easier than going out and buying a new AMD CPU/Motherboard and switching to an AMD Setup.

If you prefer P4 or Intel in the future you may want to consider that the case should be one designed for the Intel Processors that produce more heat. They often have fans on the side of the case that blow outside air directly on the CPU from outside the case. Heat can build up inside the case and can make Hard Drives and other components which all make their own heat get too hot and ware out prematurely. If the air inside the case heats up then just blowing around 95F air is not going to cool much of anything. Also having a slot fan blowing air on the video card may be a good idea. However, if it is the CPU that gets too hot that might not help much. Some cases also have fans on the top to pull out the hot air.

Check some other possibilities like the memory getting hot or the Chipset overheating.

Besides all this maybe your power supply is not strong enough.

I was thinking about this and there may be a better BIOS version for controlling how the processor runs if your processor has that. I think they called it speedstep or something to that effect. If not you might possibly underclock your processor. Some motherboards/Power Supplies had variable speed fans and it might be better to run the fans all the time if your are using a fan setup like that.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Isn't the CPU Temperature very high (91 degrees C)?

If the fan is turning freely the likelyhood is that the heatsink is completely blocked with dust bebris.
Has the heatsink still got it's original heat pad? if not has paste been used?
These temps are dangerously high and need some sort of remedy now.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I had something along these lines come in the shop on Saturday.
Shutting down under any sort of load, one our shop had built about 7 months ago.
Turned out the retail heatsink (Intel Prescott 3.2) was completely blocked.
I literally fired up the compressor, gave it a 20 second blow out, CPU heatsink as well as PSU and graphics card cooler, didn't even connect it up (it was that obvious)

7 months isn't very long for the heatsink to become that blocked, I warned her that she would have to bring it back on a regular basis, FOC of course.
Hers was unusual because of the speed in which the heatsink had got blocked, I can only assume her house is particularly dusty or the tower may have been kept on the floor possibly on carpet which is susceptable to dust and fibre build up.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back