Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Running @ 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

funstur

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
GB
I am running duel cpu 800's which are showing the second CPU running @ over 50% whilst the system is idle. I have checked memory & swapped the processors around. Have you any Ideas, apart from motherboard?

My friend remember that win98 does not support multiprocessor at 100% reliabiliti. If you are using win me the problem could be that this os as almost the same problems. Andre Silva
Computer Technician
Portugal

SYMPTOMS
When you view CPU usage using Task Manager, one processor may appear to be busy, with from 50 percent to 70 percent usage, even when the computer is idle.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions exist:

Your computer uses an ASUS P2B-D, P2B-DS, XG-DLS, P2L97-D or P2L97-DS motherboard.

You choose to install the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) during or after Windows 2000 Setup.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, contact ASUS to obtain an update for the motherboard to enable ACPI support. For additional information, please visit the following ASUS Web site:

The third-party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
To work around this issue:
Start Windows 2000 Setup again.

When you see the following prompt, press the F5 key:

Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver.
When you are prompted for the type of computer you are using, choose MPS Multiprocessor PC, and then continue Setup normally.

MORE INFORMATION
NOTE: This issue has also been seen on the following motherboards and resolved with the following resolutions:

Motherboard Resolution
=======================================================
Gigabyte GA-6BXD Update to BIOS revision F3F (No rework of board required)

I hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back