Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU running 50% although EXE is stopped inVFP6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charterhouse

Programmer
Sep 25, 2006
GB
Running VFP6 SP5 on XP SP2. Testing an EXE complied with debug info. Running EXE from inside VFP6. All other parts of system testing fine. One form when entered makes the form run at 50-60% CPU, although VFP is not running any code stopped by set step on. While in this state unable to access VFP or Debug Window (machine effectively seized) and can only terminate the VFP6.EXE process on the process tab of Windows Task Manager.

Tried re-creating the form and copying over the Objects, but experience the same behaviour. Never experience this before, current out of ideas. Will create the form again from scratch but am reluctant to do this. Suggestions welcomed

How long does the 50-60% CPU usage last?

David W. Grewe (Dave)

Network share issue? Making DBFs > 2 gigs can also exhibit this behavior. I'd start the step on in LOAD method and see where the issue surfaces.

Brian

I've tested the app this morning to see how long it would run and it has been at 50-70% CPU usage for over an hour. I've also moved the app to another machine and there is no problem on the other machine. I'm starting to think that maybe the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.0 might have a part to play. Last updated the day this problem happened. Unfortunately, unable to turn it off. The joys of developing with a nailed down machine. Put a 'set step on' in the Load, managed to enter some data in three object before the processor kicked in.

Then McAfee is a very probable candidate. Virus scanner should be configured to not test vfp data files. That should solve the problem.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks for all the responses. The Virus Checker was the culprit. Network Support turned it off, app worked as usual. The checker will be configured as Olaf suggested. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back