Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU reboots itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazerk

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
All of a sudden, yesterday morning my computer began rebooting itself.

It gets all the way to my desktop and even lets me into programs then all of a sudden it shuts itself down and reboots.

It's been check for a virus, sasser, etc. and it comes up clean.

Any of you seen this before and if so, do you have a solution? Thanx. . . . .

Other possible causes:

-Everything not completely seated on the motherboard.
Reseat everything.

-Overheating
Check the system and CPU's temps either in BIOS or with temperature monitoring software.
If the system temp gets over 45 deg. C, then make sure the computer's fans are running, the vents are open, the computer is not located in an enclosed space or near a heat source, and there is no internal dust build up.
If those are ok, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan. If this fixes things, then install additional case fans. Recommended locations are lower front and upper rear of the case.
If the CPU gets over 60 deg. C, then make sure there is thermal compound between it and the heat sink. If that's ok, then replace the compound with Arctic Silver3.
If no luck, then install a higher capacity heat sink fan.
If still no luck, then replace the heatsink with a more efficient unit.

-Overtaxed or bad power supply
Swap it out with a different(preferably higher wattage) unit.

-Bad memory
Remove and reinsert the memory a few times, try it in different slots, do not use any optimal settings for the memory in BIOS, run Memtest-86, and swap it out with known good memory.
Also, do not mix parity and non-parity memory.

-Bad video card.
Swap it out with a known good card.

-Bad MB.
Swap it out with a known good MB.

-IRQ conflict with a network card.
If no problems show up for the NIC in Device Manager, then remove it from DM, shut down, uninstall the card, and restart.

-Spyware.
D/L and run Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder.

-Kazaa.
Uninstall it.

Windows XP or 2000(Boot in Safe mode) right click my computer goto Properties click on Advanced click Startup and Recovery in the bottom half of the window you will see "Automatically Restart" Uncheck the Box then Reboot
Come back with the Error that it posts along with the File that it says is bad or having problems this will help more than its just rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back