Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU PROBLEM! TOO MUCH THERMAL PASTE GENERATE CONFLICTS! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred69

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
CA
I have an athlon xp 3000+ cpu.

I noticed this morning that applying too much "silver" thermal paste on the "die" could create a major problem. If the paste touches some chips elsewhere on the CPU, it creates a short circuit. Sliver paste has one of the highest conductivity. Before buying this silver paste, I never had this problem because I was using normal "white" paste.

Now my computer doesn't boot! Some time I see the boot screen, but it immediately freeze.

Now I've cleaned most of the paste with alcohol; I used alcohol everywhere on the cpu. But when I use alcohol, it creates some small silver particles and it is very difficult to remove all of them. The problem is still there. I think that a very very small chip has some paste between its "legs" (I hope you know what i mean).

Can i use a needle?
I though I could soak the CPU in alcohol and shake it a bit to remove particles. Is it a good idea?
I use isopropyl alcohol 75% and cue tips.

I speak french usually. hope you understand

As for the acetone. it does no damage and evaporates very fast. But, that is almost a last resort for me. I like the cleaners that are out there that are designed for that purpose.
I live in a rural city on the coast and driving 70 miles to the nearest computer store that has that cleaner you learn to find what works from the local hardware store. Or have patience and wait for it to be shipped.

I figure by now you have a plan. have you tried to see if the CPU has a warranty????

yes, just like i did, I got the stuff in a auto parts shop because the real stuff is hard to find around here. In fact, i didn't want the real stuff, all I wanted was something very powerful, and this brake cleaner rocks! And the can is big for only 15 canadian dollars.

The bad thing is you must look at these little 4 foam circles on the cpu, because too much stuff will take them off. but most of time there is no paste to remove in this area and you can counter it... in my case I used the stuff everywhere in enormous quantity until all paste dropped with the liquid. the foams are still sticked to the cpu.

@Lawnboy - ok... understood... LOL...

@Firewolfrl - you are right that acetone does evaporate quickly, but that it does no damage is not correct, I had to replace a plastic shield on a Mobile cuz I mistakenly took acetone instead of alcohol...

@Fred69 - I used brakecleaner before aswell, but the stuff is just too expensive (Germany), that is why I go to the local store and buy Alcohol, it stinks (german law makes them add an agent to it so that people do not drink it) but it is at a concentration of around 96%... I used to have a friend that worked at the local Panasonic Plant, that would bring me pure acetone once in a while... used it primarily to clean parts on the bike...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Fred, I can guess at 50% that you live in the Montreal area? You can try a can of Axarel 2000 at Accessotronik. It does wonders to clean electronics, and all other sorts of oils, without mess and without attacking plastics. The toothbrush method is good. Even better, those acid brushes that can be purchased at home hardware stores in the plumbing section. Made from horse hair I think, they resist most solvents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back