Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU powers on.... but no power to my drives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goku81

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I got a cpu from a friend who didn't want it anymore... I remember it complaining about CMOS battery failure... but it was still working fine. Now today I went to go boot it up... the pc boots up... but I'm not getting any power to my peripherals.. (hard drive, cd-rom)... I can get to the bios and everything just fine... but still no power to my drives. There is also an icon on my tower that looks like a cylinder (shaped like a battery)... that is showing up with a red light.

This might be a duh duh question... but I've never had a bad power supply before... I was under impression that when power supply went dead... everything would be down... not having power to my drives but the pc letting me get to the BIOS is confusing me.... is it a a bad power supply?

in most bios'es there are an option to read temperatures .
often called "pc health status" or simular .
The voltages should be visible there .
Drives use 12v .
Or you could disconnect e.g a cdrom and measure the molex connector with a volt meter .
check also that bios recognize the drives .

//Regards Soaplover

no power was sent to the hard drive or cd-rom drive... the bios didn't detect either one of them... the hard drive is set as solo object on primary IDE... the CD-ROM is set to solo object on secondary IDE.

Of course they cannot be detected with no power (sorry).
If there is no 12v on the molex connectors PSU must have gone bad . Is the fans running ( cpu fan , cabinet fan etc.)

//Regards Soaplover

Remove and refit the main power plug to motherboard, other than that I can't see how it could be anything other than a faulty PSU.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back