Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU not recognised by BIOS, how do I update BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieranplatt

Programmer
May 15, 2002
GB
I've bought a PC Chips M860 MB plus AMD K8 64 2800 Sempron processor which should be compatible. I get a POST error 'CPU not recognised' and cannot access setup. I have been on PCChips site and I need to update BIOS to get processor recognised.

The question is how can I do this? I can't get to boot stage so cannot get a bootup floppy containing the updated BIOS to work.

Maybe borrow a friends processor that is compatible just long enough to flash the bios?

Not an option I'm afraid - don;t know anyone with right CPU.

Maybe you should look at the MoBo manufacturer's website how to upgrade Bios. Are there some documentation with your MoBo ? It could be helpfull ...

Good luck :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

kieranplatt,

This is a dilema.....most peole do not have 64bit proc's lying around.

I would suggest, even if just on principle, that you push this back to PCChips. I doubt they have a workaround, but might be willing to send you a current BIOS chip to stop your squealing. It is worth a try.

Let us know if PCChips supports their current customers for those considering them in the future.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Oh dear, a common problem with a lot of socket 754 motherboards and the latest "E" stepping 64 bit AMD cores, I had to flash an MSI K8T Neo-V only last week for a Sempron 64 3000+ "E" stepping to be recognised but at least it booted into Windows.

The only thing I can suggest is to see if the supplier will do the right thing by his customer "you" and offer to send you an exchange that THEY have pre-flashed, you might need to pay for the replacement on the understanding that they refund your return.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks all - PC Chips cannot by contacted by phone and have not replied to my email - I say don't use 'em. I will send the board back to Ebuyer I think and exchange for another brand unless they have any other suggestions when I ring them.

kieranplatt
It's likely that you will need to flash most socket 754 motherboards but hopefully a replacement will at least allow you to get into the bios to carry out this task.

The annoying thing is I'm guessing the box says "64 bit compatible" it's just this new variant it doesn't recognise properly.
Hope all goes well and I've got to believe ebuyer will have the grace to help you out in this situation.
UK user? like me.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back