Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU not clocking nearly as high as it should...

Status
Not open for further replies.

purevanilla88

Programmer
Jan 23, 2005
US
Hi Guys,

I just built my own computer... It has a Gigabyte 2004 RZ motherboard, 1 Ultra 512 MMB PC 3200 400 MHz RAM, 1-60 gig HDD, a GeForce FX 5200 GPU, an Ultra 500 watt ATX power supply, and finally, an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ which is supposed to clock at 2.8 GHz...

Now, everything seemed ok at first, until I looked at this application that I got with my motherboard (designed for overclocking), which said that my CPU was running at a brutal 1.2 GHz... In disbelief, I checked another tool on my computer, which told me the same thing... It also told me my external clock was running at 100 MHz...

What's the matter? why isn't my CPU running even close to its advertised speed?

Thanks a lot!!!

-Chris

sorry guys... realised that a CPU isnt really much of a peripheral... posting my question in a more relevant forum (PC Hardware - General Discussion)...

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back