Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU/Motherboard problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fathermurphy

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
Client broght in an HP Tower. It has an AMD Athlon 1.3, 256 meg of ram. The system boots to the HP logo screen and stops responding. I tried reseating all components, still locking up. If I hit the esc key I can get to the post screen, but after doing memory check it locks up. I'm thinking it has something do with the processor or cpu, as if I try to enter setup and check settings there, it just says entering setup, and does nothing. I don't have another processor or motherboard in stock to try those to see if thats the problem. So what I was wandering is if anyone here has experienced anything like this before. I'm not getting any beep codes on the post either.

Thanks in advance

tried swapping out memory which was DDR266, but it is still doing same thing.

I'm thinking it has something do with the processor or cpu

What processor were you thinking in terms of? and more importantly, why? RAM disk is NOT an installation procedure.
Phil
If you diagree with the advice I give, please send an email with the word RESIGNATION as the subject.

I didn't say anything about the ram other than I tried swapping it out to see if that was the problem. I can't get into the BIOS because it locks up before it even gets to the BIOS screen.

I'm thinking on the same lines as Kim Leece - have you tried resetting the CMOS? I think that if the processor was dead, you wouldn't even get the HP Logo screen.

- You could, as a suggestion, order in a Duron 800 for around $20 - could be useful to have a socket A processor "lying around". CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi
HP usually uses CL2 DIMM RAM.
If the system is hanging-up after adding or upgrading RAM, then make sure they are a CL2 version.

Yeah, resetting the CMOS would be what I would try too. After that, I would try stripping down the PC little by little to see if it would suddenly shape up. For example, I've had systems that would hang like that because an IDE device has been reconfigured (or dying). Same thing with added/dying cards.

Incidentally, did the client try to add anything to the machine? Merry Christmas [santa]
Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I'll try CMOS reset on Monday. As far as I know client did not try to add anything hardware or software wise. The machine had been in before because of this, and the other tech just reseated everything and it worked fine for a couple of months. But I'll give the CMOS reset a try Monday and report my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back