Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU issue with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US

Alright I just got a brand new HP duo core 2.20ghz with 3GB RAM and I dont see much of a difference compared to my 1gb ram, custom built Pentium 4 XP box from three years ago.

Is this thing just a resource hog or what? is it all relative? I expected this to be blazing fast. The sidebar gadget CPU monitor is constantly at 38% or more all the time.

Vista sucks. Maybe after their upcoming service pack things will improve for you. XP is known to perform twice as fast as Vista on the same hardware.

It is relative....think how fast 3.11 would run on your rig if it could be installed....XP would be a dog compared to it.
Vista has a lot of crap that runs that can be turned off to free up some resources, with 3Gb it should run ok....although i have seen it run differently on similarily specced machines with different hardware. The SP and improved drivers etc should make a difference hopefully....dual boot it - your going to have to switch eventually so may as well start using it now :p

>The sidebar gadget CPU monitor is constantly at 38% or more all the time.

Well, there's one of your problems right there. Take a look at Task Manager and see what hogs sidebar and gadgets turn out to be.

Vista is a resource hog which offers little beyond what standard XP does. As I wrote in the other thread, consider patching your Vista box so it is up-to-date - this will help matters somewhat.

But if I were in your position and had a copy of XP Pro laying around, I would definitely wipe the drive.

There is also a Vista forum.....

One thing with most software, never be an early adopter. I always wait until the first SP comes out for MS gear (well NT4 SP4 was the decent one).

So you may want to hold off wiping for a month or two and see if the SP fixes all your woes.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

must agree vista is sooooo power hungry. until at least SP1 comes out for vista i would stick with XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back