Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU FSB?? FSB?? clock multiplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
System
------------
P4 1.7GHz
ASUS P4T
256 RIMM 800MHz

The CPU FSB is the same thing as just FSB right?

In my BIOS it says my processor is running with 100MHz CPU FSB with 17x multiplier and thats how it gets the 1700MHz. Now i read somewhere that the CPU FSB runs at the full mobo speed (ASUS P4T supports 400MHz FSB) so why is mine only at 100MHz? - does this mean my computer isnt running to full potential? -how do i use the full 400MHz FSB ??

OK i think i answered my own question.

Something about "Quad Pump" multiplies the true FSB of 100MHz by a factor of 4x to get the 400MHz.. i get that now.

Now for another question. The PCI bus runs at 33MHz or the FSB/3 = 33MHz right?

If i were to change the FSB from 100 to 103 then the PCI bus would then run at 34MHz and the FSB would increase to
103 x 4 = 412 MHz?

You are correct, sir! Some PCI devices could possibly cause instability at the higher bus speed. If instability arises try removing PCI devices one at a time to find the offending hardware.

Not just PCI devices, but RAM and AGP graphics cards may suffer.

My choice for overclocking would always be an old computer that I didn't mind trashing. You could pick up a Celeron 300A and an Abit BX6 really cheaply, chuck them into an old case and practice on that...

:) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back