Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Fan Stops During OS Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
MS6178 Mobo
Celeron 566MHz
256MB PC133
300W P.S
WinXP Pro

Hey folks I am having a problem with a cpu fan/mobo. The fan works fine during post and indefinateley while in bios.

However, when I try to install XP the fan stops turning almost emmediately. After it stop turning, I shut off the power and the fan suddenly spins again for a few seconds.
I thought maybe the P.S could be bad and couldn't supply adequate power to the mobo with the HDD and cdrom spinning, but switching P.S didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Q-fan tech?...have you tried to leave it on and run the install to see if the fan turns on when the CPU gets hot?...

yeah I have my A+, Network +, SAIR, MCP, MCSE and one of them lil things you know a CCNA but the real question is, Buddy can you spare a dime?

Yup. I left it running a couple of times until it froze from getting too hot. It's the original fan that came with the cpu.

Ugh! There goes $30.00 Canadian.

That's what I'm thinking but I want to be sure before I chuck it. Could it have something to do with the type of fan? I noticed that there are no options in the bios concerning fan speed and such when there should be according to the manual.

I also notice the fan has a yellow wire for positive, a black for ground and a blue wire which I assume is the fan speed sensor so should the bios hardware monitor settings not show up?

Does it matter that the manual shows the wires for the fan as black red and yellow. In other words is this the wrong type of fan for this mobo even though it came with the processor? I thought all three-pin head connector fans were all pretty much the same.

Blue & black is an alternative for red and black. Yellow is usually the tach.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

There is a work around that might save you $$$$$ and keep you running.
Yellow is the RPM sensor as edfair has indicated. What you could do is leave this one (yellow) wire connected to the fan header and somehow connect the blue and black wires to a spare molex power connector so the fan has a feed seperate and uneffected by the motherboard.
Black to Black BUT!!!!! Blue fan wire to yellow 12volt feed in a spare power plug (molex) I KNOW THIS SOUNDS WRONG but honestly it's not (red wires in the PSU loom are 5volts only)
Note* the yellow fan wire must be connected to the fan header otherwise the motherboard will not be able to sense an RPM signal and as a failsafe will shut the PC down.
This method of taking fan power directly from the PSU is common with high powered fans (the fan headers usually cannot supply enough current and could burn out)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

just run the fan power from the powersupply and have it as a steady revolutionay speed.

yeah I have my A+, Network +, SAIR, MCP, MCSE and one of them lil things you know a CCNA but the real question is, Buddy can you spare a dime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back