Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Fan not working properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkKent101

Programmer
Jul 19, 2006
DE
Hi Everyone,

I've just built myself a computer from scratch - I've followed all instructions as best I could but there's a problem and I'm not too sure what to do. After placing the CPU on the motherboard along with the cpu fan/heatsink, plus the graphics card, hard drive, dvd-rom etc... I turned the computer on for the first time and everything turned on as expected, my case fan was working and so was the power supply - the only thing wrong was the cpu fan, it looked like it was trying to start by moving a bit every 2 seconds or so, but it just wouldn't kick in and turn rapidly as it should. The computer then restarted itself and the same thing started again - i turned the computer off and am reluctant to turn it back on in case the same thing happens again and I risk somehow frying something due to the cpu fan not functioning like it should.

Any idea why this is happening? the cpu fan's power wire is plugged in on the motherboard so I don't understand why it wont turn.

I'm using a power supply of 400W, with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz processor, and the motherboard is a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R S-series which states it supports my Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Tony

Thanks Martin. I took a look at that psu, and I would like to buy it - only problem is that if I were to purchase it now it would arrive on monday... which means someone would have to be at my house to sign for it (nobody will be home). So I took a look at a store I can drive to, closest one to me is Maplin, and they have quite a few, i'm just not sure which one to get... I compared specs and found this one...

What do you think? If that one isn't good enough, do you see any others on that site that would be good enough?

Thanks again for the help.

- Tony

Well if you want me to be honest, I've never heard of that brand but I guess it's bound to be better than the one you have at present.
It's a shame you can't wait because that Antec is a real bargain.
Have you got a PCworld close by? cus they sell a brand called Jeantech which we sell in our shop and although not a massively well known brand I can tell you from several years of retailing and using this brand that they are very good PSU's.
You pre-order online 2 hours before collecting, I think the 450watt unit is about £39.00, obviously PC World arn't the cheapest but you won't be disapointed as they are good units.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I don't have a problem waiting for the Antec, it's the fact that nobody will be home to sign for it that's going to complicate things. I can get to a PC World, it's about 21 minutes from me. I took a look at the 450W PSU you mentioned and then noticed that there is 500W Jeantech PSU for an extra 4 pounds -
For an extra 50W I'd pay 4 pounds :). What do you rate?

Absolutely, go for it and if your not completely satisfied I'll eat my motherboard lol
Martin

Well, I hope for your sake you don't have to RAM it down your throat Martin! [bigsmile]

ROGER - G0AOZ.

lol... well Martin, I guess you may as well pick up your knife and fork and start chomping away because PC World is out of stock on both the one you chose as well as the one I chose.... argh! I'll see if i can get one from work, if not I'll shop around for the brand names you suggested. Will report back once my computer if up and running, unless ofcourse I have another question ...lol.

Martin eating a motherboard, this I want to see lol. Send me a video lmao.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Capacitors! Yum Yum, Chomp Chomp!
Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Martin

Hey Everyone :),

Just letting everybody know my computer is working perfectly fine and has been for just over a week now. I got my new fan + heatsink from overclockers and now all is gooood. I'm still using that ColorsIt power supply for now, I will still buy a better power supply though - looks like pc world has that jeantech power supply Martin recommended :).

Cheers for everything :).

- Tony

I was wondering why you guys were thinking (overthinking) that the psu would have anything to do with the classic, textbook failure of a cpu fan...

Burt

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we all wish we could have it.
I was taught to go for the most obvious thing first and work towards the least obvious.
In this case the PSU was the most obvious especially as it proved to be a cheap brand that I personally have had lots of dealings with.
Classic texbook failure of a fan...hmmmm, well fan failures like this are very rare, in the region of one fan failure to fifty power supplies, so it is understandable that the PSU was bought into the equation on a percentage dianosis.
Was I incorrect? damm sure I was, I often am (flesh and blood last time I pinched myself)
Lessons learned? indeed, it sure is a difficult thing giving advice over the internet without actually having the hardware infront of you or the full story to hand.
And
I would still advise ClarkKent101 to invest in a quality PSU in the very near future regardless.

True enough, but I myself have seen a lot of cpu fans fail, and in that exact manner. I apologize for the post, as I know it all depends on what people themselves have seen. My apologies.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back