Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Fan not working properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkKent101

Programmer
Jul 19, 2006
DE
Hi Everyone,

I've just built myself a computer from scratch - I've followed all instructions as best I could but there's a problem and I'm not too sure what to do. After placing the CPU on the motherboard along with the cpu fan/heatsink, plus the graphics card, hard drive, dvd-rom etc... I turned the computer on for the first time and everything turned on as expected, my case fan was working and so was the power supply - the only thing wrong was the cpu fan, it looked like it was trying to start by moving a bit every 2 seconds or so, but it just wouldn't kick in and turn rapidly as it should. The computer then restarted itself and the same thing started again - i turned the computer off and am reluctant to turn it back on in case the same thing happens again and I risk somehow frying something due to the cpu fan not functioning like it should.

Any idea why this is happening? the cpu fan's power wire is plugged in on the motherboard so I don't understand why it wont turn.

I'm using a power supply of 400W, with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz processor, and the motherboard is a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R S-series which states it supports my Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Tony

rma the processor and fan asap. Sounds like a bad fan.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Hi electronicsfreak,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'rma'? I'm thinking of redoing the process of inserting the CPU fan on top of the CPU, do you think this is wise?

Thanks for your reply.

- Tony

Rma = return merchandise authorization, basically send the processor and fan in and have it replaced. As if its not turning correctly straight out of the box then it needs to be replaced.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

You could check to see if the CPU fan is free to revolve, before applying power to the motherboard. I've had them take a bashing in transit, and then won't turn.

If you intend refixing the CPU and heatsink/fan assembly, make sure the mating surfaces are clean and then apply a fresh very thin coating of heatsink compound.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

electronicsfreak & G0AOZ,

Thank you for your responses. I called up the store and they're sending me another one - scheduled to arrive tomorrow, which I'm grateful for. When I get it I'm obviously going to have to remove the faulty cpu fan and replace it, do you guys have any website recommendation that will help smoothen the process?

- Tony

The fan is simply screwed onto the heatsink, so you shouldn't have a problem.

TomCologne

Hi Freestone & TomCologne,

Thank you for your responses. I took a look at the video tutorial and I must say its the best I've seen, that will definitely help a lot - thanks to all.

- Tony

Well I do hope that the fan is at fault but you should know that the motherboard is responsible for stepping up the voltage as CPU temperature rises.
Infact on some motherboards I have built with, the fans remain static until a set temp is reached and then and only then, does the fan begin to spin, slowly at first, getting faster as the CPU temp rises, regulating itself depending on load.
Also have you connected ALL your motherboard power plugs, the extra 4 or 8 pin P4 connector, sometimes a molex type, does it need 24pin power plug and you only have a 20 connected?
Another more obvious cause could be a weak failing PSU.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi paparazi,

Yes I have connected the power plugs onto the motherboard. There were two connections, one 24pin power plug and one 4pin power plug which are both connected. A weak PSU makes sense, I guess that possibility will be determined tomorrow after trying out the replacement. Besides for a weak PSU, what other factors if any could cause the fan to act like this?

I left the computer running when I saw the cpu fan trying to turn to see if the fan would increase speed, but it didn't - the computer simply restarted. At that point i turned everything off and haven't turned it back on.

Thanks for your response.

- Tony

Well, while were on weak psu's, make sure your not using the default one that came with the case. If you are get a new one asap that has over voltage protection.

I am using the default one that came with the case... I was advised to purchase a case that came with a power supply and I got one that has 400W. Is 400W sufficient? It it isn't and I've made a bad decision getting a case with a power supply, which out of the following list would you recommend?

To be honest, I was quite happy getting a case with a power supply due to saving me some cash but if it's a death trap then I guess I have no choice but to buy a new one. Do you think I should wait for the replacement to arrive and test it out to see if it works? Or is the risk of damaging the hardware too high by taking that route?

A 400 watt power supply is good as long as its not a case power supply. See 98 percent of case power supplies do not have over voltage protection. Over voltage protection is what stops a power supply from frying your computer when it goes out. When one dies that doesnt have this your board could get as much as 110 or 220 volts depending on where you are at. Case power supplies are machine fryers lol.

Never heard of those 2 brands listed there. Anyway what you want is a power supply with over voltage protection and id reccomend at least 26amps or more on the +12v rail. Depending on what is all in this computer you may need a stronger one.

Another thing, case power supplies are usually very weak with like 12 or less amps.

Thanks for your input, I'm learning loads as I go along. I took a look at the information on my PSU and if I'm not mistakened, this psu has 20 amps on the +12v rail. I'll type out the info that's on the side of the psu...

AC INPUT: 230VAC 10A 50~60Hz, Model: 400U

DC OUTPUT MAX:

| +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -5V | -12V | +5VSB |
| 20A | 30A | 20A | 0.5A | 0.8A | 2.5A |
--------------------------------------------------------
400W
--------------------------------------------------------

That's it. I'll list my components so you know what's in my box...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA_P35C_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard (
DVD-Rom: HP DVD 1035i 20x DVD±RW x12 Ram Dual Layer DVD-Writer (Black) - OEM (
RAM: OcUK 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-5300C5 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Vista Approved Kit (
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.33GHz (1333FSB) - Retail (
Graphics Card: ATI 128mb X300SE PCI-E

A Hard Drive Barrucuda 7200

One Case Fan: which states on the back that its a 12V... (
And that's it. Do you still think replacing my existing psu is necessary?

Thanks for your time and effort, it's much appreciated.

- Tony

If that power supply has over voltage protection then you are fine, however if it dont you are not. What is the brand and model number of the power supply?

The brand appears to be: ColorsIt - Switching Power Supply. And the model number is: ATX12V p4.

Thanks,

- Tony

The ColorsIt power supplies that I have used and seen are extremely poor quality, our company simply refuses to use generic cases when they come with this brand of PSU, we had lots of failures! some immediate on new builds.
Firstly by necessity (because of price competition) we do ocasionally use generic power supplies (those that come with the case)but only when fitted with certain more reliable brands (Winpower for instance)and only when building basic relatively low consuming budget systems. Everything else gets a better quality and branded PSU ie:

Antec/Enermax/Seasonic/Jeantech/OCZ/Thermaltake/ Coolermaster/Zalman

Your system falls into the middle band and if it were mine I would definately be investing in something better and more reliable than this very poor ColorsIt unit.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the information, looks like I best be getting a better PSU. I have a spare that I know works, I'm just not sure if it's worth using in my new comp. The brand is: Bestec, and the model number is: atx-300-12eb3.

Is that better than the ColorsIt PSU? If so, is it worth using it or buying a new/better one?

Thanks for the help,

- Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back