Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU fan error on startup, CPU then idles pretty hot...i think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

odge13

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
US
It is a ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Mobo, with a Pentium 4, LGA 775, 3.0 Ghz chip (the 630 series) and the Intel heatsink. When I start up I get a CPU fan error and then it says to hit F1 to continue. So I do, but then it will sit and idle at about 123 degrees F, when I play a game like World of Warcraft the temperature display on the front of the case will go up to about 142 degrees F.

The temperature sensor is pretty much sandwiched on the side of the chip, not in the way of the heatsink or its conductive material. The CPU fan is only operating at about 1500 RPM and I was just wondering what I can do to get the temperatures down besides get a bigger heat sink or add more fans. It has 4 intake fans and one exhaust fan on the top of the case.

ASUS P5GDC Deluxe
Intel P4 3.0 GHz
1GB Centon RAM

Replace the fan with an exact replacement if you don't want to go bigger. You have a problem, don't ignore what your computer is telling you.

Thanks for your reply!! This is the second CPU I put in there. Went from the P4 530J, to the P4 630, the 530J never had this problem and was running at about 90F at idle. I was just wondering if you knew how to get rid of the CPU fan error, or will replacing it get rid of it (the fan that is)? Thanks!!

Replacing the fan/heatsink should get rid of the error. If you take the heatsink off don't forget to clean off the old heatsink compound or pad and apply new (following directions).

What is the temperature in the room your computer is in? This can play a significant roll in cooling your computer.

Also if you have 4 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan there is an airflow problem. The airflow isnt smooth. I would change one of the intake to exhaust.

What is the power supply watt also. If you have to many things hooked up with a low watt power supply you might not be getting the right power to your fans.

Last, When ever I get that error message with a dell that mean the fan on the cpu is not working and I would get a new one.

Malik
where your problems are our solutions!!

odge13

I believe that there is a bios upgrade to cure this fault.

We had the same thing on one of our builds a few weeks back, cured with the new bios revision.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thank you all for the input. I went to and bought a Cooler Master Hyper 48 heat sink and applied some Arctic Ice 5 to it as well. The CPU fan error has since dissapeared and the CPU is now running at about 50C under gaming load.

Oh and paparazi, I thank you too for your suggestion, however this is my first build and am not the best person with computers, but I will help any others if I have any knowledge of their problem.

odge13
The CPU fan stop error is a known issue issue with stock Intel fans on this motherboard and as I said cured with the latest bios flash (we had to flash a Asus motherboard straight out the box because of this error)

My parting signiture is seen by all so was not directed at you in particular.
Just a reminder of the ethos of TT's and just to say that this forum is not simply a help line.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Seems to me that your fan was running too slow. Maybe it was on the way out anyway.
I do like the suggestion that UnlimCompSol made. If you have 4 fans pulling in air and only one fan pushing it out then you are likely wasting some valuable wattage on your power supply? Best to unhook one fan or have 3 coming in and 2 going out, that would be even better (as mentioned).
In the future, if you feel you have a power issue then take the side off your pc and take a large home desktop fan and set it on high to blow on the spot where you suspect the problem. If the fan cures the problem then you likely know what to fix. I had a pc where i thought the cpu fan was not good enuf, put the table fan on and that cured the problem, got a new heatsink\fan installed and all was well. But the fan helped me make sure exactly what the problem was for sure. Just another tool to use.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back