Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Fan air flow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidity23

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
Ok...a silly question...

a cPU Fan should be pulling air away from the CPU...not pushing air on it....right?

- carpe diem -

This starts a long discussion. Why don't you look for the answer in previous posts. Here ,or in pchardware, or desktop software.

Heatsink providers generally push air onto the heatsink.

Forum members are waiting for somebody with good temperature measuring equipment to run an experiment to determine the beter way, but until a more definitive answer is provided you probably should push.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Another rule of thumb is to buy the heatsink and fan as a combo and run it the way it was manufactured. I have a Thermaltake volcano6+ and it blows up or away from the cpu, while the new thermaltake's blow down.

Leave it the way it was made.

JON

OH NO!!!!! I should run away at this point!!! (earlier and much lorded debate) but:
As it came, which is almost always blowing onto the heatsink. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Here we go again!!!!! ;-)

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I have a new Thermaltake fan on my AMD K6, This blows air onto the CPU,

It also sounds like a vacuum cleaner though too, LOL. The Soltek G-force graphics card sucks air away.

I did not change my case fan...it is sucking air out of the case...and my case temp runs around 35-40 degrees Centigrade...so far it has been doing fine...

sounds like many fans blow air onto the CPU...

- carpe diem -

At they sometimes do experiments where they try to reverse the air flow of the CPU FAN to see which worked best. Some heat sinks let you change the direction, but some heat sinks only allow a fan to be positioned one way. They got mixed results when trying this.

You might get better results if you pulled air from outside of the case and blew it directyly on the fins as opposed to recirculating the air inside the case. It is probably common for the air inside of a computer case to already be 90 F. So if you are in an airconditioned environment blowing air that is 10-20 degrees cooler may have an increased improvement on heat exchange for the CPU cooler.

Find a comparison for CPU coolers and see how yours compares.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

paparazi,
Was that previous thread you mentioned removed?
Tried a search and was unable to find that thread. That is a shame as it was one of the best debates I have seen on Tek-Tips with a lot of invaluable technical information.
I most certainly learnt from the various posts from yourself and others.
As the original post caused much heated debate I wonder if it was red flagged, if not anyone know the thread number, please?

Ted

I have eaten humble pie.

I think the manner of the original poster was red flagged (not by me I hasten to add) and some discussion took place in the round table (invited members) I guess it was removed? not sure.
Good debate though :) Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I searched for it too. Perhaps it can come back in edited form.

Yeah, I hated that that one was red-flagged and removed. I lost two stars when it was purged. [lol]

Jim

You win some, you lose some. Guess you're still counting.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

paparazi,
If I remember correctly the original poster did apologise, that I thought would have counted for something, why not red flag his post(s)?
Beside the point I know but I believe that the thread was so informative it would be very sad indeed if all that information were lost.
Agree with you bcastner in hoping it will be edited and posted.
Let us hope that Dave or some round table (invited members) that were involved in the discussions read this thread and have a rethink, please.
Fingers crossed.

Ted

I have eaten humble pie.

I say neither..

I run liquid cooled on my p4 3.06 hyperthreaded, it's running rock solid at 3.75 ghz at 35 celcius. let's see any heatsink/fan do that ;)

That's great 'til your pump fails or your tubing springs a leak. [smile]

Jim

same thing can be said for a fan failure, and the way it's set up it won't leak, unless someone opens the case and pokes holes in the tubing :p
thats like saying, what if a wire slips out of the fan and fries the motherboard? hehe

Seriously, why spend the $$ on these fancy fans like a dragon orb or volcano etc, when you can get a reliable liquid cooled system (case, resevoir, pump, tubing, digital display, triple fans/heatsink to transfer heat out) all for under 200$, even less used. Especially when they don't even cool as well as the liquid cooled system. I mean, if you are looking for max cooling, why stop at air to air cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back