Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Exhausted

Status
Not open for further replies.

voiped

Vendor
May 8, 2018
US
Happy Friday to all. I'm using a Virtual App Server in HyperV Version 10.2.02 One X is enabled and we use it off site occasionally along with Web Collaboration. Intermittently I have been getting 100 percent usage and a CPU exhausted message. When I first noticed it seemed to be 100 percent all the time. I added 2 cores some RAM and NUMA and it looks like this. I don't really notice any performance issues but I'm wondering if I did anything wrong when I set this up. We have about 15 users so the system has pretty light traffic.

Capture_cpu_kn9dbo.jpg

How many users on the IPO using one-x?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

we had one that was put on the open Internet and a smart hacker went into the system and used it for other purposes than IP Office.
They either downloaded stuff or mined bitcoins.
Not sure which one it was because I was only hearing about it.
Yes all passwords had been changed but the customer wanted easy ones and they put it on the Internet unknowingly. Great It department :)

Joe W.

FHandw, just expired ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I have maybe 6 power users. It's not used a lot I also monitor periodically when onex users are logged in Never seen more than 2 logged in. At 100 percent usage I'll see no one logged in.

I also periodically would see people trying to login from outside. Since I changed the default port numbers I haven't seen any outside mischief. I think I'll try shutting down onex service and see if usage goes down. I'll also close the ports to the outside but I really don't think the systems been hacked. I seem to remember that I continued to see hi usage even after I reinstalled the server.

Login to Linux and run "top" to see which process is using the CPU.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Then I think the server is not powerful enough.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Just a wild guess, but I had a customer who had something like this happen while we only had a few demo users programmed on their Primary server in a Server Edition solution. It was virtual in a VMWare environment. It turned out they got hacked. The One X services would be at 100% CPU, and after a service restart or a server reboot, the CPU's would be ok for a couple of hours before climbing back up again. Luckily this was long before we started programming anything so it was an easy fix to just decommission the server and re-deploy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back