Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU DDR Ram + AMD XP Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekki

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
Howdy, i have an AMD XP 1700 and a stick of pc 2100 512mb

When i start up the cpu for the first time, my CMOS says checksum error. it appears to be the multiplier settings and such for the CPU, it starts out as 1100 mhz.... now i realize you have to change the FSB settings ... i know that for SDRAM if u have a stick of 133mhz u have to change it to 133, but since i have DDR 2100mhz...what do i change the FSB to and the multiplier settings??

It could be your BIOS is out of date, and will NOT recognize the new Athlon XP CPU.
You may also be having an issue with the 512 MB DDR RAM module, maybe it is not working in conjunction with the Mainboard BIOS.

> I suggest you check what BIOS version you have.
> Compare that to the updates on the mainboard manufacturers website. How out of date is it ?

If you don't know about BIOS version, (the most basic feature) then I DO NOT suggest you flash the BIOS yourself. I wouldn't want to encourage someone to start practing on new / expensive hardware. Lessons like that could be Real expensive.
Take it to a pro, or get an EXPERIENCED PC mechanic to help you out (not Bubba who works at the Tire Store).

I've seen that before,the fsb must be set to 133 and I'm sure your CPU will read correcty.

I'm positive this isn't the case, but you will also get checksum errors if the motherboard's battery goes dead.

The 133 setting is correct for your DDR ram and XP.
It would be 100 for a Duron.
The 133 refers to FSB and as your have DDR ram then DOUBLE 133 gets the 266fsb for your XP processor.
It appears your clock multiplier is setting itself to default and taking your processor down to default 1100.
Some motherboards have a 200fsb/266fsb jumper which should be set depending on what type of processor is fitted (266 in your case) Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

You make no mention of what motherboard and revision of BIOS you have. Some motherboards do not support XP processor at all even with bios upgrades while others do. Please give more to go on if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back