Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU cooling housing that pulls air from the outside of case 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITE1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2003
US
It seems to me that many cases out there dont have a housing over the cpu so that the fan pulls air from outside the case, like dells do.

I am looking into making my own computer and it only makes too much sense to have a fan on the cpu that pulls air from out side the case and then pushes it through the rest of the computer, two birds with one stone.

Are there any cases out there with really good stock cooling systems? Anything that comes with the plastic air ducts that channels a fan from the back of the case onto the cpu? (like all the dells I work on)

Why dont all cases do this?

Also, its seems to me that when a fan goes out that is cooling your cpu or power supply your in trouble, are there any redundancy measures that can be taken to prevent this?

Thanks for any input!

I've often had thoughts on the very same lines as yours RITE1 and can only presume than the main reason for not having a direct duct to the CPU fan is that when considering a cooling solution for a system, an overall cooling stategy must be undertaken to cool every part and not just concentrate on the CPU, afterall it is no good if your CPU is running nice and cool if you hard drive and graphics card are being served by air at 50 degrees C.
To answer another part to your question: nearly all modern motherboards and CPU's have thermal protection "built in" so that they don't burn out in the event of a fan failure, most will just shut down to prevent damage.
And lastly: I guess the best way to minimize failure is to by quality parts, especially when it comes to power supplies but good maintenance routines can be a life saver and prevent problems before they arise (for instance the amount of completely blocked CPU heatsinks I see) could be easily prevented by good maintenance and cleaning)

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Martins right but I've seen aftermarket ducts if you decide you want to go that route.

Hi!
I've concidered this myself a while back .
Though it seems that with a normal airflow in the cabinet
front to back this solution manage to lower the cpu
heat under load something like 3-10 degree celsius,
all depending on the before situation.

But as Martin say you still need cooling (ventilation) inside the cabinet for northbridge(chipset) ,harddisks , video card , other pci cards .
So it's mostly used to gain some degrees lower on the cpu for overclockers .

Some inputs:

Review:

One case w/air dict cpu cooler:

Another case w/air dict cpu cooler:

all cases:

syar

I've personally built 1000's of PC's, and all the cases I use now have side air ducts for the CPU with internal 2 x 3in BB fans. 1 in PS and 1 in the rear of the chassis. I use the Inwin IW-S564 and IW-S506G the most. The fans are very quiet and if your using either case with a retail boxed Intel P4 you can hardly hear any noise at all. Besides being quiet, the cooler you allow PC components to run (expecially the CPU) the faster, more energy efficient and less likely to produce failure it will be.

Personally i like the PSU's that have a 120mm fan iside the cabinet instead of one or two 80mm in the back (outside).
Test shows that theese lower cpu temperatuse espacially in mid towers where the cpu fan is right under the psu.
Theese psu's is great at removing hot air from around the cpu area .

syar

As for a relative new cooling idea i relly would like if
anyone has any experience with a 3D cooler like the one gigabyte has put on the market.

It seems like a good solution slinging the air around away from/through the sink in a 360 degrees rotation.

"review" and thoughts:

You guys might read my Chill Vent review.

The links will also lead to other reviews.
The 120mm intake fan is the way to go but if you look at many case designs, the holes are just too small to allow air in (or out). The easy way out for the case manufacturer is to hang a fan in the side window.
I'll be doing additional reviews of this thing thru this month to test all the configurations.

Skip

RITE1
I think this could be an easy modification if someone wants to give it a go
My idea was to use some extractor hose, the type used on tumble driers or portable air conditioner units, this is a flexible concertina type plastic hose that will both compress and contract.
My idea would be to mount an 80mm case fan on the removable side panel, parallel to the CPU heatsink/fan unit, this fan would have a chrome grille on the outside for neatness and a short piece of this flexible hose cable tied around the outside of the fan (inside the case) the other end of the hose would fasten in some way either tightly around the CPU fan or suspended closely over it with a bracket.
I think this solution combined with the normal two 80mm case fans (front lower sucking in and rear top exhausting) would work well.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back