Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Clock ratio not present in CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfendi

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
CA
I have a new motherboard "P4X400 Dragon Lite" that I'm trying to use with my old hard drive. When accessing the CMOS, the option to modify the CPU clock ratio as referred by the documentation is not present. What do you think I should do? Is clearing the CMOS a possible solution? Please help!
Thanks

Does the manual say EXACTLY where it is located? Or does it just say "in the CMOS setup". I have a different mobo, but I really had to search to find the location of the setting.

Yes, the manual says exactly where to find it. It is called "Soyo Combo Feature" and the option is not there. The illustrations from the manual even show that feature.
Thanks

did you follow the procedure in manual (set time/date, hdd to auto,load opt. defaults...)?
try a clear cmos (unplugg power/battery/set jp5) wait a min and follow manual.
;-)

Yes, I followed the procedures from the manual and it did not work. If I clear the CMOS, will I have the right data back? By the way, to clear CMOS, they mentioned from the manual to unplug the ATX power cable. You also proposed to unplug battery, does that refer to something else? or which battery? Thanks for any help.

theres a battery on the mobo that supplies the cmos with power. unplugg this and the power for psu. now set jp5 on clear cmos (1min).
befor putting battery/power back in make sure you reset the jp5 to normal, otherwise you can destroy the mobo (worst case).
the bios will load bios defaults after the reset, dont worry about that. you have to set time and.... again.

I did clear the CMOS and it still doesn't solve the problem. The options "CPU Frequency Select" and "CPU ratio" are still not shown contrarily to the indications of the manual. Here is the screen I got to change CPU's clock and voltage:

System Performance ---> Normal [Fast/Turbo]
Frequency 1MHZ Stepping ---> 100 MHZ
[min=100; max=132; Key in a DEC number:.....]
DRAM Clock ---> 133 MHZ [By SPD; 100 MHZ; 133; 166; 200]
AutoDetect PCI/DIMM Clk ---> Disabled
Spread Spectrum ---> Disabled
CPU Vcore Select ---> Default
AGP (1.5V) Voltage select ---> Default
DDR (2.5V) Voltage Select ---> Default
> Advanced Tune-Up Settings ---> Press Enter
*** The following options appear after pressing Enter and only the options with an asterisk can be modified ***

Current FSB Frequency ---> 100 MHZ
Current DRAM frequency ---> 100 MHZ
* DRAM timing ---> By SPD
SDRAM CAS latency ---> 2.5
Bank interleave ---> 4 Bank
Precharge to active (Trp) ---> 3T
Active to precharge (Tras) ---> 7T
Active to CMD (Trcd) ---> 3T
DRAM Command rate ---2T Command
* DRAM Burst Len ---> 4
* Write recovery time --->3T
* DRAM Access Time ---> 3T

Note I'm using a 2.7 GHZ Intel Celeron processor. Socket 478, Front side bus 400 MHZ. The memory is a 256 MB with 266 MHZ speed DDR. How can I set up the above screen with the right values? Please help.

1.increase the fsb to 200mhz.
note: it shows only 100-132, but how i understand the manual you also can increas from 133-255 (page2)
note: manual states you should set cpu frequency select to manual, but you i cant see it in your post, so try increasing here
Frequency 1MHZ Stepping ---> 100 MHZ
[min=100; max=132; Key in a DEC number:.....]
2.set dram clock to either spd or the supported speed.

to cange vcore set CPU Vcore Select ---> Default to manual.

i hope this helps

Setting your fsb clock to 200MHz will be overclocking your cpu, and by a ratio that simply will not work (that would make your celeron run at 5.4GHz, ain't gonna happen).

Set your fsb clock to 100MHz. The motherboard will automatically pick up the correct clock ratio for the cpu & it will run at the full 2.7GHz.

Extra note, P4 cpu's have a hard lock on the clock ratio, they cannot be changed from the specified value - even fanatic overclockers cannot change that setting. I'm guessing that is just a misprint in the manual.

OK! I'm still confused. Let me try to report the problems as they first showed at startup.

The diagnostics screen at startup say the right data:

Main Processor : Intel Celeron(R) 2.7 GHZ (100x27.0)
Memory testing: 262144K
CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU ratio changed fail.
Please reenter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit.
Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter CMOS setup...

I think with this error, I should correct the values from the CMOS. This is what I was still trying to do without success. Could anyone comment on this? What is the best way to proceed?
Thanks

As dakota81 points out, your CPU is probably locked. The manual from Soyo's site on page 41 says "The available CPU ratio you can select will depends on your CPU ID". In this case, you can select nothing.

Your last post is indicative of corrupted CMOS data. Start again by following Lemon13's earlier advice about clearing CMOS. I'll post the manual's steps, a little rearranged:

Note: You must unplug the ATX power cable from the ATX power connector when performing the CMOS Clear operation.

1. Clear the CMOS memory by momentarily shorting pin 2-3 on jumper JP5. This jumper can be easily identified by its white colored cap. Short pin 2-3 for at least 5 seconds to clear the CMOS.

2. Then put the jumper back to 1-2 to allow writing of new data into the CMOS memory.

Power back on, enter BIOS setup, select Load Fail - Safe Defaults (for now anyway), Save & Exit Setup.

If you don't receive the checksum error message, enter BIOS setup and choose Load Optimized Defaults, Save & Exit Setup.

If you receive the checksum error message , then from page 92 of the manual:

During Boot-up, my computer says CMOS memory Checksum error.

What is the problem?

1. Clear CMOS memory.
2. Re-flash BIOS. Check on how to flash BIOS on the later part of this book.
3. Change the CMOS battery, the battery might be drained.
4. The BIOS chip might be failing.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back