Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvarman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
FR

Hi,

in a w2000 controller (where there is also exchange 2000),
the CPU is at 100%

in fact the sevices.exe process takes uptp 98%
i've rebooted the machine many times.

your ideas are welcome

Have you recently installed SP4? This happened to one of my servers after i did, had to restore the server afterwards.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

Well, it seems that a service hungs. Difficult to see which one is. A possibility could be to go in services and stop them one by one.
Check event viewer and see if you have some errors there also.
Could be caused by a service depency. Have a look in the service dependecies.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

How much free disk space is on the drive? I've seen this if there is not enough disk space and exchange keeps swapping.

I had this a while ago. Real nasty!

Is you machine dual processor? If so, I assume that the second is running as normal.

My mail software (not exchange, come on!) was the cause. If you look in the processes tab and filter by CPU you can see what is the culprite.
My solution (I think, it was a long time ago) was to save essential config settings and user data, remove application and then reinstall.
Worked fine after that!

Good Luck!

I had this happen with a domain controller once. If I booted in Safe Mode with Networking, it was still 100%, but if I booted in regular Safe Mode it was normal. If I disabled the Net Logon service I was able to boot normally as well. After a not-fun week of troubleshooting, it turned out that replacing the NIC fixed everything.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

are you being attacked...is your server being used as an email relay. Check the smtp queue in exchange

the server is a w2000 controller with exch 2000 installed.
i've Kaspersky antivirus installed also.
i found that everytime the CPU was at 100%, the antivirus service also was at 100 %.

now, i think i've two possiblities.
- i'm attacked by virus and spams.
- the service antivirus is not well reponding.

the AV monitoring shows that many viruses have been deleted ot moved to quaranting area.

i've to buy anti spam soft to protect myself.

Have anybody seen any problem with Kaspersky antivirus?
Thanks

Never even heard of it!

Get yourself something better known such as McAfee (Or McAffee, McAffe, somthing like that!), Norton or F-Prot. Ensure that your DAT's are up to date and do a full scan of your system. May want to try it in Safe Mode.
If not, remove the AV, lookup symptoms on the manufactures website and see if its a known problem. Are there any servce packs or updates?

If you are still having problems try another AV product.

Good Luck!

We use McAfee products only. Regardless of the product you use, along with AV software comes a regime of automated updates for new signature dat's every week as they are released. We have never had a virus problem on our internal net, and not for lack of anyone trying. We run a router with a firewall as well as IIS.
Good luck!
Paul

If you were to call for tech support from Microsoft or your computer's manufacturer, the first troubleshooting question they'll ask you is if you're running any antivirus software. Then they'll ask you to uninstall it and see if the problem persists after a reboot. Have you tried this already?

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

All good ideas. It sounds like your system is being used to send spam mail. Try unplugging the net access cable and see what happens. If the system is being used to relay mail, the load should immediately drop to almost nothing. If so, you need to insure your exchange is not allowing relay traffic (should not by default, but your settings may have been changed, making your system a robot).

Next,I would download AdAware from and/or a anti-spybot program, and check out your system (after taking it off line again) to see what garbage has been loaded onto the system that you do not know about, and clean house (especially all the registery entries). Then, if the problem still exists, remove the anti-virus program, reboot and put on a name type system (I like fprot from Norton, Mcaffee, etc.

Good hunting,

David

I had a similar situation where every application ran the cpu to 100%. I fixed it by disabling the Driver verification tool and rebooting

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I also noticed that the machine was swapping like a sob and the disks in the array were thrashing constantly.

I checked the logs and found that Exchange's online maintenance hadn't been able to complete the defrag process on the private store in quite a while and assumed that the store was really fragmented. I did an off-line defrag/compress on the stores which reduced the size by about a 3rd and everything has been working great since.

Also, if you do decide that your A/V software is related to the problem, make sure that you are excluding the proper Exchange folders from the scan. See the following article from Symantec. It applies to any A/V software running on an Exchange box:

I have an exchange server that requires about 15-20 minutes to boot and become operational. Problem is the server comes up ok, but the Exchange is taking that long to go through the Exchnage database with its normal exercise, every time the system starts up. Could also be what you are facing here.

Yoour also mentioned having anti-virus running. Be careful here, as many anti-virus programs for Exchnage are not compatible with having an anti-virus program also running at the same time on the base server. The net result caould be exactly what you are describing also.

Good Hunting!

David

This is some times cause by an attack on port 135 via telnet and filling the buffer.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back