Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInNeed

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CA
Have been experiencing some odd behaviour.

When I try to open up a power point file, or even enter the directory where the file is located and click on it in windows explorer, the CPU jumps to 100 %. It takes about 5-10 mins to come back down. This behaviour occurs again when you try to save, modify, close, etc, the file. This also happens with any *.bat file.
Please note that a total AntiVirus Scan has been done multiple times with no infections found.
This also is evident from a workstation that is connected to the server. That is, when a workstation tries to access a power point file or .*bat file that is resident on the server, the CPU jumps to 100 % on the server as well.
Trying to browse the internet using Internet Explorer also causes 100% CPU usage.

Need assistance please !!!
All comments appreciated

I'm gonna scan the server with Ad-Aware tonight after hours. The reason why I cannot scan now is because the CPU will jump to 100% and users would not be able to access file sharing. This also happens when I perform an AntiVirus scan.
I will post my results tomorrow.

Track down which *exe or *dll is doing this by going to the Task Manager, clicking on processes, then click the CPU column. Process(es) chewing up the CPU will pop to the top. Post back here with your results.
James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

2ffat
I will do this as well tonight and post the results :)

2ffat
I remembered that one of the first things that I did was this (that is, check task manager for suspicious processes) and could not find anything out of the ordinary. I wanted to double check before posting again.

I just tried it during lunch (when most employees are not around) and the results are the same as before.

Here is exactly what I did:
- Opened Windows Explorer
- Went to a directory which contained power point presentation files
- Clicked on a *ppt file (without launching the program, ie, single click)
The CPU jumps to 100%.
The main processes that account for the 100% CPU usage are: "explorer.exe" and "System". Then there are other processes that take up very little usage (only sometimes) like: svchost.exe, Store.exe, dllhost.exe. ervices.exe, etc.

Note: After about 1-3 minutes the CPU percentage drops back down.

mrfixit
I scan using Ad-Aware and the only things that came up were "Tracking cookies" in which I eliminated.

Where do I go from here?
Help please :(

mrfixit

Thanks, but I am not running Exchange Server on my server ATM, so this does not apply to me. Thanks anyways.

I am sorry. The store.exe was in the list of stuff running. Might try stopping it.

How about viruses, are you running a virus checking software?

Have you updated your definitions and done a full scan?

What all starts up with your computer? Do you have a lot of programs running all the time? (AOL's quick launch, Netscape Quick Launch, AOL Instant Messanger, MS IM... etc) each program takes up a little bit of your memory and slows down your system.

You may want to get the diagnostic software for your system and check out your memory and CPU.

Also try upgrading your BIOS to the most current version. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

CharlieJax
Yes I am running Norton AntiVirus on the server. I have it configured to perform a LiveUpdate automatically. I also updated the Virus Definitions by upadting with Intelligent Updater. I have performed multiple scans and still no detections.

"What all starts up with your computer? Do you have a lot of programs running all the time? (AOL's quick launch, Netscape Quick Launch, AOL Instant Messanger, MS IM... etc) each program takes up a little bit of your memory and slows down your system."

None of the above.Nothing out of the ordinary starts up.

I'm not that familar with the newer Norton. Is it configured to check any files that are being accessed? Perhaps it is testing each file that you try to open.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Of course, no-one has asked the spec of your system yet...

what processor do you run on this server?

how much RAM?

If it's a pentium 350 I wouldn't be surprised that it uses up 100%

2ffat
Yes, the version of Norton that I have deployed on my server is configured to scan all files. But I highly doubt that this is the problem otherwise it would not be only specific to *.bat files and *ppt files.

Jaqqo
File Server is Microsoft Small Business Server (Windows 2000 Server)
Intel P3 1 GHz Processor
1.5 Gigs of RAM

PLease comment

Which version of IE you running?

Do you have all service packs installed for SBS?

Have you changed anything recently - just before you noticed the odd behaviour?

Do you have Norton set to scan all files (if I remember, you can tell it scan on open, move, copy etc). try disabling Norton completely and then test again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back