Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu 100% and network unreachable on SCO 5.0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

andtony

Programmer
Apr 14, 2011
FR
Hi,

I have just enough UNIX knowledge to do a few things on our SCO 5.0.5 server, but I'm stuck with a tough problem :

Some times, for no particular reason, the server is very very slow. I run sar and see that the %sys column is around 99% ... 3 or 4 minutes later, all clients are disconnected from the server, which we can't ping anymore.

I ran this command : ps -A -o "pid pcpu ruser args" to see which process was eating the cpu, and I saw that the process called "vhand" was eating about 90% of the cpu !!

Is it a well-known problem ? The server is running for years and we didn't change anything unless the activation of SMB Client for VisionFS (and it was a year ago !)

Any information would be helpful ... Thanks in advance !

vhand is the memory allocation daemon - something else is reducing available memory and vhand is trying to steal back some pages. Check this SCO URL out:

It's for 5.0.7, but the various tests are the same for 5.0.5. A possibility - hardware failure in either the system board or the installed RAM cards is suddenly causing the system to be starved for memory.

Another possibility is a recent program change is buggy and causing a memory leak until it starts swapping pages to disk like crazy.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Thanks for the answer.

We made a little script which told us that the system is freezing everyday at about 6.55pm

We're looking for a software issue, but it's hard to find it. No computer on the network is sending anything at this time.

You may check all the cron jobs.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back