Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPQ DL350 G1 initialization 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElmerWFudd

Technical User
Jul 7, 2007
US
I bought a Compaq DL380 G1 server and blank drives. When I power on, after 5 seconds I get a Compaq Proliant banner, then RAM check OK, processors check OK, Smart array drive configuration, and then: non-system or disk error. I have the latest smart Start CD in the drive. I also tried it empy. and then with Win NT server 4.0. Still: non-system or disk error. I am stuck at this point, and power off the server.

quote...
"Honestly it just says "Integrated Smart Array Controller V1.42 - Initializing" "

Hardware RAID

Burt

This thread is a bit confusing, but because it was started by ElmerWFudd, I'm trying to stick to one issue at a time. If MrPatRyan is also having a problem, then it should be a new thread. I was referencing the comment made by Elmer on 13 Aug 07 9:15.

Quote: Smart Array 5i recognizes drives; defined RAID 1 ... I tried to load Windows NT. It starts ... sees IDE, but not the SCSI RAID, or SCSI at all. Asks for insert disk for any other controllers (I no got).

You are right! I agree---should be separate thread. My apologies.

Burt

I suppose I could start a new thread - but it looks like elmer and I are having the same issue.

I now have a floppy drive on my desktop and have created a system erase floppy. My dl380 will boot from floppy and run the system erase utility.

It STILL does not boot from any Smartstart CD nor a Windows CD (it does try to boot from a VMware cd, which tells me it is checking to boot from cd at POST. VMware OS will not install because of other HCL issues).

Is there a way I can create a set of floppies that will lead me to being able to install Windows 2003?

Thanks All.

Eureka! I have found my problem. All SmartStart CD copies given to me, and all I created, were not bootable due to my CD drives' inability to make real ISO copies. I downloaded freeware, ImageBurn, or something like that. It told me that the CD spindle I got at Fry's was all junk. I bought some Memorex at WalMart and made a successful copy of my downloaded SS 5.50. It works! I only stepped back to this machine to format a floppy, as it wants one to record a profile on. Thanks again for the crosspost, you may have the same issue?

I will install Windows NT first. Then start again with Linux on separate drives.

Elmer, thanks for the solution! I used ImagBurn to do a verify between the SmartStart.ISO and the CD I created on my desktop PC. There were errors. It turns out it was the GQ brand blank CD's I was using (GQ is supposed to stand for great quality, what a laugh). I used my same CD drive with Memorex brand blanks and my dl380 now boots to SmartStart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back