Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPQ DL350 G1 initialization 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElmerWFudd

Technical User
Jul 7, 2007
US
I bought a Compaq DL380 G1 server and blank drives. When I power on, after 5 seconds I get a Compaq Proliant banner, then RAM check OK, processors check OK, Smart array drive configuration, and then: non-system or disk error. I have the latest smart Start CD in the drive. I also tried it empy. and then with Win NT server 4.0. Still: non-system or disk error. I am stuck at this point, and power off the server.

I think you need an earlier version of smart start, like 5.5
Did you set the BIOS to boot from the CD ROM?

Burt

No. I do not believe it is reading anything off the CD. When I power on it says Compaq Bios P17. Pressing Delete, F10, F2 etc. does not invoke Bios or CMOS, only allows an option to define drive scheme, which looks OK. I read that the BIOS is supposed to be a partition on the HD, But they are wiped.
The Smart Start CD I downloaded is a 7.something, but was supposed to be for G1. I should have a 5.2 at work Monday. Is there a way to download 4.2 (what install guide says it was shipped with) or 5.2 (oldest at work?

This is for 5.5---we do this from time to time on G1's, like PL5500's, ML370, etc., and we use 5.5

Now that you mention that about the BIOS, I can remember something like that. It has been some time. 5.5 works for me where I work, so I don't see why it should not work for you.
Otherwise, I don't really know where to get anything older.
I can see if we have anything older at work, and if we do, I can put it on my FTP and post it here.

Burt

Thank you. I did download SS 5.5 and burned it to a CD. I popped it into my G2 (same situation, same process, it has my cables right now). Power on, Compaq Proliant banner, memory OK, Smart Array recognizes drives. I did get into BIOS utilities with F9 available very briefly. It is set to boot from CD drive.

One screen indicated that it was currently configured for Windows NT. So, I put in a NT server 4.0 CD (why not? this is an educational exercise for now). It starts to load and runs for a couple of minutes. It does not seem to want the SCSI drive array (which earlier detected and configured the drives), says it sees the CD-ROM drive and no other drives. Asks for insert disk for any other controllers. Then it says NT cannot continue setup and exits.

So, in the BIOS utilities it lets me specify OS. It had one option for Linux and one for other, I selected "other".
Then I tried to boot SmartStart 5.50, disk error.
Then I started over with Debian Linux CD#1: non-system or disk error, tries boot A:, then C: Perhaps I should have specified Linux. I again tried with the Smart Start 5.5 CD, Same result.

My biggest worry is not being able to get Smart Start to run at all. I have downloaded a couple of floppy bootable files but have not found a floppy drive saround here yet to write to.

What kind of RAID controller is in it? Have you tried F6 during POST when it should prompt you to, for the RAID controller config?

Burt

The RAID controller is: Integrated Smart Array Controller Version 1.42 -- that's what it says it's initializing at startup, and it gives no prompts, should I try F6?

It should also specify the model of the array controller...such as 5i or 6i.

G1, I would guess 5i---it should prompt you during POST, and you should see "starting 5i controller", or something to that effect. Hell---press f6 all through POST! That's what I'd do---f6 invokes the RAID controller set up BIOS utility.

Burt

Honestly it just says "Integrated Smart Array Controller V1.42 - Initializing" Then once initialized it says "1 - Logical Drives". F6 gets me the screen "Option ROM Configuration for Arrays version 1.0 copyright Compaq 1999". It just displays the two disks and not much more. I am able to get a screen that allows specifying the OS - which has a few basic options which I choose Windows 2k. That's what was set when the damn thing at least booted up to the previous version of W2003 for which I had no password. I know someone was able to get W2003 installed on this thing before, and that's what I now need to do.

Here is what I've tried and what I know about this DL380:
1. it will try to boot from CD when I have a VMware setup CD inserted, so I know it's looking to boot from CD.
2. If I power cycle and try it with a SmartStart 5.5 CD it just sits there with a blank blinking prompt (much like myself after a few adult beverages).
3. Ditto with a valid W2003 CD inserted and powercycled.
4. Also tried a firmware-maintence 7.5 CD downloaded from HP site, still does not boot.
5. It did have W2003 installed when I started this process, so I don't think it's a hardware/bios compatibility issue.

Can you boot from the floppy drive? Maybe the CD drive went belly-up. I believe the bios update will create a bootable floppy. See if you can boot from that.

I don't have a floppy drive in neither my desktop nor my laptop. My desktop doesn't have bay for a flopply drive. I might have to go over to a friends house and use his desktop to create a bootable floppy. I went by my local computer superstore (Fry's) and they had USB floppy devices for the low low price of only $39.99 and I decided to pass on that!

Thanks for the cross thread posts - they helped a lot!

Getting back to this now, with floppy available. Made a system erase floppy from HP/CPQ. Ran it, put in Smart start = disk error.

G2 Power on, Compaq Proliant banner, memory and CPU's OK, Smart Array 5i recognizes drives; defined RAID 1. I did get into BIOS utilities with F9. It is set to boot from CD drive. It tries CD, floppy, HD, NIC in that order.
Then I tried to boot SmartStart 5.50, disk error.
I tried to load Windows NT. It starts and I get several screens. It does correctly load the multiprocessor kernel (I added a second CPU, heatsink and VRM), sees IDE, but not the SCSI RAID, or SCSI at all. Asks for insert disk for any other controllers (I no got). Then it says NT cannot continue setup and exits.

I was able to get a Smartstart 3.2 HP original CD to run, until it decided it did not support this machine. My copies of 5.5, downloaded, and others created by associates do not work. I just bought a HP original 5.x on eBay-in route now.

If I remember correctly, I think there is a key to press at the startup of the OS install that tells Windows you have a third-party driver for the SCSI drives.

Something I just caught...is it a DL or ML? There is a DL360 and ML350, but no DL350 that I know of...

Burt

I have a DL380 __(beige G1) and a DL380 G2. The DL350 in the thread title appears to be my typo.

It is a 3rd-party driver to NT. NT may not have a driver for the 5i controller. In which case, you need to download it and then tell NT you have a driver for your controller when it starts it's install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back